Back at it

Its been awhile, hope everyone is doing good. Being that I'm in NY and the recent tint laws have took a huge toll on the automotive business, I took a step back. Finally slapped some film on yesterday. It has been 5 months since the last time I tinted and damn was it frustrating trying to get back into the swing of things! I had just enough film to finish the job, however the last 2-3 feet of my roll was garbage. So I contacted a local guy I had been training with and grabbed some Suntek from him. I had been using SolarFX which is 2 ply. What can I expect going to a 1 ply film(suntek)??

Welcome back. :waving

Can't really help with your question - but has the recent enforcement of the laws there really impacted business? Obviously tinters are aware of whats going on, but did it make an impact on customers and scare them off of getting their cars tinted? 

Its been awhile, hope everyone is doing good. Being that I'm in NY and the recent tint laws have took a huge toll on the automotive business, I took a step back. Finally slapped some film on yesterday. It has been 5 months since the last time I tinted and damn was it frustrating trying to get back into the swing of things! I had just enough film to finish the job, however the last 2-3 feet of my roll was garbage. So I contacted a local guy I had been training with and grabbed some Suntek from him. I had been using SolarFX which is 2 ply. What can I expect going to a 1 ply film(suntek)??

Hello Mike,

Welcome back to the tint world. Just wanted to let you know that at SolarFX, we have an extra 3'-5' put on every roll to accommodate for the core impressions on the roll, the "garbage" at the end of the roll.

1ply films are more temperamental and will shrink faster, so you need to be careful when slapping heat on the film. 1ply films can crease easier also.

I raised the price for removals? LoL,,,but have a good excuse to say no to auto and focus on flat glass which seems good now anyway and i pretty much have hated tinting cars anymore and never could train anyone besides the fact that the 70% bullshit law has been around since 92 or 93 anyway

Classic older auto(1991@older)is allowed to have 35% according to copy of what the inspection stations have i guess

From my personal experience with suntek you can expect scratching. Don't give the film the stink eye or it'll scratch it. On a serious side, you really can expect it to scratch super easy. Don't use as much heat on shrinking either. It shrinks really fast and if you use the heat like you do with solar fx it will just burn. That's just my experience though. Good luck!

23 hours ago, whitehog said:

Hello Mike,

Welcome back to the tint world. Just wanted to let you know that at SolarFX, we have an extra 3'-5' put on every roll to accommodate for the core impressions on the roll, the "garbage" at the end of the roll.

1ply films are more temperamental and will shrink faster, so you need to be careful when slapping heat on the film. 1ply films can crease easier also.

To clear the air, I was not calling the film garbage or knocking it at all. SolarFX is great film and Dragon is an awesome distributor!!!!

20 hours ago, DaHatta said:

From my personal experience with suntek you can expect scratching. Don't give the film the stink eye or it'll scratch it. On a serious side, you really can expect it to scratch super easy. Don't use as much heat on shrinking either. It shrinks really fast and if you use the heat like you do with solar fx it will just burn. That's just my experience though. Good luck!

Thanks for the input!

5 minutes ago, MikeP said:

To clear the air, I was not calling the film garbage or knocking it at all. SolarFX is great film and Dragon is an awesome distributor!!!!

Hey MikeP,

It's all good Mike, I didn't think that you were dogging the product or the distributor.

Shawn

Archived