Help on film choice?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that almost all manufacturers make a 20% but can it be installed on a dual pane window due to the absorption rate of the film without causing issues.  My manufacturer is telling me it is too dark for a dual pane window.

6 minutes ago, ready2work said:

I understand that almost all manufacturers make a 20% but can it be installed on a dual pane window due to the absorption rate of the film without causing issues.  My manufacturer is telling me it is too dark for a dual pane window.

Your supplier is an idiot if he doesn't say you need a dual reflective or silver film. Both of those will be safe for dual pane. Now if you want just a straight up black 20% no it's not safe. 

thats what I thought but didnt argue with the supplier which is why I came here looking for outside advice.  They also said I should trim the film about an 1/8" from the edge or the film will never dry correctly.  I have done tons of installs on residential and commercial jobs and this is the first time I have ever heard of 20% being too dark for dual pane windows and trimming the edge.  I mean honestly who would pay for a tint job if daylight can be seen all the way around the window?

Another question what squeegee do you use to install flat glass? I have always used a blue max and I was also told that was wrong because that is supposed to be used for automotive glass install only.  I am thinking I need a new supplier of film I'm beginning to see a pattern here.  

Who is your supplier???   None of this is making any sense. :blink

15%-25% flatglass films are generally safe for dual pane windows. 

Me and my friends all use the blue max to install... so you should be good to go there. :thumb2

As for the trimming - I use a hardcard to trim... my friend free hand cuts.... Potato tomato. 

I use suntek films but I have to go through a distributor here in PA. SAGR is the distributor. You are as confused as I am. The guy who taught me never had any complaints or issues with his work so this is boggling my mind. We always trimmed film to the edge of the glass to ensure a proper install and used blue max for squeegee. As for the film I was advised that 20% is far to dark for dual pane windows and will more than likely cause glass breakage or seal failure. 

Archived