2018 Audi S5 Tint Issues

KJBurk

I have a brand new 2018 Audi S5. I've now had to replace the tint on my car twice already due to long vertical scratches on the tint. The explanation the dealership gave me this afternoon after investigating is that the seal tolerance on the 2018 Audi S5 is so tight that tint is easily scratched. Is there a tint out there not as susceptible to scratching?? There must be a solution. HELP!! TIA

4 minutes ago, KJBurk said:

Is that a new thing for Audi's? I have had a 2006 and a 2014 and neither of them had issues with scratching. 

The best route to go is to have the dealership remove the film and get refunded.  Then go to a tint shop and have it done, they should offer to felt the doors to help.  9/10 the dealership is giving you cheap film and charging premium, so you would be better off without them.

Not necessarily. It's not a super common thing to come up. What I would suggest is carrying it back to them or to another shop. Tell them you did some research and found out your bottom seals need felt. Shouldn't be crazy expensive to do just that. That'll prolong the life of the film. 

Here's the list from the top of my head on which Audi's need felt. 

A3 cabriolet 

A5 & S5

A5 cabriolet 

A5 sportback including S5 sportback

A7 & S7 & RS7 

TT & TTS RSTT

R8 

If I ever see one of them Audi bean counters I'm going to have a few words for them. Each one of those cars use double the amount of felt a normal car would. The double lip both have to be felted. Some bummers and hondas you could cut the lower lip off and just felt the top but not on these cars. Those cabriolet need felt on the quarter windows. I've always said no way am I doing those. 

Archived