Opening new shop- Are my costs too high

Hi all, My partner and I are opening a new shop, however, the place we like is $1300.00 a month. With insurance, electric, etc. We are looking at $1900.00 a month in expenses. Was wondering if this is too high. This set up is a nice big place in a good area, and would allow us to tint 6-10 cars a day. My concern is, will we get that many cars a day, and I kind of think it will be really tough. Was wondering on some opinions before we commit to such a place. Thanks!

Edited by TintByMasters

IMO if you can't afford to be in the negative for the first year, then don't do it.  If you are new at this with a new shop, it will take time to build up the business.  Not to mention you are in FL where the tint jobs are typically low priced and tons of shops which makes it even harder.  Now is $1900 total a month bad for a good spot with space, not at all.  I would kill for that type of price since we pay over triple that a month.

A good website that drives the people to you is a MUST if you are just starting out.  I started our shop after 30 years traveling to dealerships. I had dealership work that brought income in and an installer that took care of them.  That was in 2012. Now we have no dealership work to speak of and everything we get is retail off the website. I picked the expensive side of town where I knew people could afford to tint their cars if their was an economic collapse or slowdown. One of the best decisions I made. $1900 for everything is a good price if you can make that back in a day or two. Bad if it takes a week or two.

20130305_172743949_iOS.jpg

20130305_172727057_iOS.jpg

It’s a very nice part of town and we are an authorized llumar dealer. There are two other llumar dealers close to us and they charge 150-170 for ATC, 250-300 for ATX. so the prices are high. I think we can def make it work, was just looking to see what other people pay and what’s realistic. 

21 minutes ago, TintByMasters said:

It’s a very nice part of town and we are an authorized llumar dealer. There are two other llumar dealers close to us and they charge 150-170 for ATC, 250-300 for ATX. so the prices are high. I think we can def make it work, was just looking to see what other people pay and what’s realistic. 

dont undercut your costs or labour. you can charge something almost close to the same i'm sure. just be a better sales person.

You need to do some research!

estimate all your operating cost for a year.  rent, utilities and phone as well as labor, insurance and material

budget for opening and continued advertising.    quiz,  last place you worked,  name 5 business each direction and across the street where you worked.

I estimate 20% cost of sale for material and 10% advertising.   how many cars do you have to do per year to make money?

6 hours ago, TintByMasters said:

:smile  "prices are high" might be for your area but that is low pricing IMO.