Am I trippin?

contests are not a crock,  full of great information to learn.   clean, prep and clean up almost anyone do,  so why do it your self?

I hired an assistant to do the basics.  saved 1/3 on time for install.  increased sales with extra time with minimal cost.  made more money, did less work and was not tired at the end of the day.  its the American way  LOL

On 11/2/2017 at 8:53 PM, shadytints said:

contests are not a crock,  full of great information to learn.   clean, prep and clean up almost anyone do,  so why do it your self?

I hired an assistant to do the basics.  saved 1/3 on time for install.  increased sales with extra time with minimal cost.  made more money, did less work and was not tired at the end of the day.  its the American way  LOL

What kind of system do you have with an assistant? I'm trying to figure the most effective way to use a second set of hands. 

7 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

What kind of system do you have with an assistant? I'm trying to figure the most effective way to use a second set of hands. 

hardest part is finding the right person.  show up for work and on time,  reliable and trainable.   takes about 90 days to see if they make it.  employees are like children, at first eager to learn and plan to be the next world champ tinter.  between 30 and 60 days,  little late to work and longer lunches testing the boundaries.  have to smack their hand and get them back in place.  hire for attitude,  teach experience.

newbie helper

pull up to a shop,  I go get the keys and paperwork, helper unloads the car (toolbox light film) and sets up.  I cut and shrink sides, helper cleans the back window then puts film on outside. I cut and shrink back and hang,  helper cleans sides and rounds corners.  I hang the sides while helper cleans windows and picks up behind me.  I pull car out and check while helper repacks car.  the "dance" as I call it, once learned allowed me to schedule 1 car per hour to hour and half.

trained tinter

helper still sets up while I get the car.  helper cleans,  cuts and hangs BG while I cut all sides, shrink sides  and hang starting with pass rear then front.  when I get to drivers side I either leave rear door and quarter or driver front door depending how far they are on the BG.  if I am almost done they clean and pack up and I deliver car.    slight variations depending on car.   best day we completed 5 cars in 2.5 hours.  limped all the way to the bank  LOL

newbie assistants I start at $400/wk salary.  90 day probation and one year verbal agreement.  "If" they get good, they can choose salary or a percentage that adjusts with skills.  after a year  they can take a 50/50 split or start their own business.

Why this works and understanding my sales pitch.

walk into any tint shop or place you want to tint.  never at open or close or lunch.  when they ask to help you,  say I want to make you a lot of money, if you have a couple minuets I will see if I can.   talk in their interest,  they do not care about you,,,, yet

crunching the numbers

do they tint,  what do they charge and how long does it take?  hours of operation and how many days to get appointment in season.

average answer from tint shops here is over $200 for 4dr cars.  3 to 4 hours for install and 2 to 3 week to schedule in season.

this shop would book 2 completes($400.00) and a set of doors($80.00) a day.  if one no shows they still have to pay the tinter hourly

so lets say $500/day 6 days a week brings $3000.00 total sales

I then state I will tint a vehicle an hour increasing the weekly potential to $9600 if they can book them.  8hrs/day x $200/car =$1600 x 6/day =$9600

If they only schedule 2 cars and a set of doors i will be done in 2.5 hours allowing 5.5 hours extra to book work in that bay

my program should make them $100.00/hr with no material, labor or warranty

I offer displays and price sheets and sales training (good/better/best) to increase average gross per delivery and warranty is on me if one comes back.

ask which number they like better  lol  offer to handle overflow or if the tinter calls in, say you will try to cover them so you do not have to cancel jobs.

In Michigan,  if you pay an employee 40k/yr with benefits or $20.00/hr the actual cost is about $35.00/hr.  I only take your money if I make you money.

good to have a couple vids on phone or flash drive  instead of the typical audition.  you can also project the additional income for up/cross sales.

I was a home based business. low overhead and great tax benefits.  10 to 20 sales reps booking and handling customers.   go to work only when there is work, part time job.  payed $100 to $200 an hour.  good CPA got my taxable income under 10k.  no clue how he does that,  why I pay him.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:12 AM, Stewy said:

I saw someone post this on Facebook and I needed to see how he does a BG in 1 min. He had like 3 inch to shrink on the bottom and about 4 inch on top. Of course he can shrink it in 1 min. I can judge a shrink just by looking at it and that shrink looks easy. Am i trippin? 

Stretching the film is cake when the glass is off the car. Can't barely be done when the body of the car is there. I like the method but we tint windows on cars usually

I've shrank a bg in 20sec with a modified 45,000 propane burner . Posted it here about 10years ago just for kicks . Kind of cool, but who needs to rush that bad lol. My norm is about 2 min. Always using 2 heatguns together.