Defroster Lines Damaged ???

So I guess I'm just looking for other Tinter's experiences with removing tint from back windows with defroster lines. I have been tinting for 20+ yrs  and have removed countless tint film and glue from back windows using hot soapy water, Windex and sometimes Goo Gone with a soft blue scrubby and some elbow grease to get the glue off.  I've never had any problems with the functioning of my customers rear defroster after the job was finished. Now we've all had our share of "annoying" customers who want everything perfect and this particular customer happened to be an "annoying friend".  I tinted his jeep Wrangler and admittedly the back tint turned out horribly. (I blame it on an open garage door and a windy day). I offered to redo the job and removed the tint with said method. This was 8 months ago.  Well the first cold day we had.... he contacted me and said his defroster wasn't working and it was my fault. He told me he tested continuity??? and there were "multiple" spots where the connection was broken. Again I used a soft blue scrubby! I've Never had a problem with this method. I even called up some past customers that I remembered removing tint for and asked if they ever had a problem after I had removed their tint for them. All said NO! Everything was working fine.

Now my friend said his defroster was working fine last winter. Ist it possible that I had something to do with ruining his window??? Could the defroster lines already have had a problem and my "scrubbing" finished them off?    He found a factory tinted window that cost him $250 and he's going to leave it up to me to "do the right thing by him" whatever that might be.

What do you guys think?  Should I tell him to screw off?  Offer to Pay Half? Deduct what I charged him, which by the way was only $60 to begin with and I had to tint it twice!  Whatever I end up doing I think this will be the last time I tint any car for this dude again! He once had me tint a Lexus for him and there was an Alarm Warning sticker on his driver side window. He wanted me to tint around it because he felt if I removed it , it would "De-value" the car!  I mean, give me a break!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this

:moa

Yeah man you're best off to cut your losses on that one. He obviously isn't a so called "friend" and caress more about the car than he does y'alls relationship. If I'm in that situation I would have someone besides egg head diagnose the rear defrost, if the glass needs replacing do so. Doing work for those buddies that always expect discounts and want everything to be absolutely perfect is frustrating. If I'm in your shoes the next time he ask for a price on something he gets full price. He's obviously demanding and needs to be treated as such. 

:yeah  shit happens, did you see the window before he replaced it? :bat wouldn't doubt other factors are involved. Was it oem glass to start with? Did he damage it and try and blame it on you? And lastly Chrysler doesn't get top marks for quality anything....... f#%king ....... ever....... there's always gonna be flawed production runs from every manufacturer of anything. Tell him I said nice fiat.

i give all customers a 99 percent guarantee that it wont work after removal. [not joking] altho funny LOL. i live in florida so its not that big of a deal.  Ive even had some defroster lines that just come off right along with the tint when steaming and peeling tint off in one piece . . . . .,, its not worth my time frustratingly finessing the removal of a BG while attempting not to "hurt" a defroster line. . . but then again a i HATE BG REMOVALS ...  and would rather not do them. . . . in my mind the value of should equal the value of a install.  its more time, more frustration, more work than tinting, .  when i tell customers this they generally refuse to pay even over a 100 bucks for a removal . as a result i proudly don't do many bg removals :boogie:ppdance

Edited by Go2Guy

It’s one thing to say your defrosters don’t work in a month from when you did it , and another 6 months . That’s hard one . I’ve never had a customer come back to me and say it didn’t work after I removed and tinted ! I’ve been tinting for over 15 years . I use a soft scrubby , rubbing alcohol and something to remove the glue from my tint company solargard . plus simple green to sweat the old tint off . And I always give the warning that I don’t know wether the old tint will come off well , and I will need to scrape it off . 

On 2/5/2018 at 11:22 PM, Whyme said:

It’s one thing to say your defrosters don’t work in a month from when you did it , and another 6 months . That’s hard one . I’ve never had a customer come back to me and say it didn’t work after I removed and tinted ! I’ve been tinting for over 15 years . I use a soft scrubby , rubbing alcohol and something to remove the glue from my tint company solargard . plus simple green to sweat the old tint off . And I always give the warning that I don’t know wether the old tint will come off well , and I will need to scrape it off . 

How is that Simple Green? Been hearing about it a bit, does it loosen up the film better than ammonia? 

I have been tinting for 35 years and removed tint from many rear windows. The quality of the defroster lines these days are terrible. Up until about a year ago I have never had damaged defroster lines and now we have had several. We removed film shortly after install (20-30 mins) when we decided to redo a back window because of dirt on a BMW and it peeled 5 or 6 lines. I have spoke to many glass installers and they all confirmed the quality is terrible and that simply pulling off a piece of tape can damage a defroster. We used a steamer and barely pull at all and it damages some. I am not sure what the answer is except to warn the customer ahead of time but It's still hard not to be liable when we are doing the work.