Does anybody tint part time?

And have another job or go to school?  Or another arrangement?

A little background on me:  I have worked in the automotive aftermarket for almost 16 years.  I worked in a retail shop for almost 12 years and have been working in e-commerce for the past 4 years.  I enjoy my current position, but miss working on cars.  Tinting is something that has interested me for a number of years and I really wish I had learned how to do it years ago. 

I am currently considering attending a training class in the early part of next year.  After completing a training class I would like to find a part time position in the field.  I would like to keep my current position, but the hours are flexible and I figure I could work approximately 2 days per week tinting in addition to my current position.  It's just that in my time working in a custom shop I don't recall any of the window tinters being part time employees, all were full time. 

I would prefer doing auto tint, but am willing to entertain flat glass as well.  I'm just curious of the prevalence of part time positions or other more flexible arrangements in the tint industry.

I'm trying to work part time !     been tinting since 1980 and do not need to work anymore but at the same time I am overwhelmed by all my customers !   the only reason I tint is because I have really good accounts and great customers and tinting is not stressful or labor intense.....

been a good ride all these years thats fo-sho !

I tint on the side and love it.  The extra cash on the side is nice!  All my biz is word of mouth and referrals.  This time of year is slow, but when it's warmer I stay pretty busy on nights and weekends. 

I worked in a shop for a very short time.  I didn't like being rushed and dealing with egos.  But if you have been in the aftermarket automotive industry for that many years these things are nothing new to you haha.

@Apex Tint I can understand the things you didn't like about working in a shop.  After having done so for a number of years I have seen plenty instances of both. 

I would honestly like to go the same route as you have went.  I really enjoy my current position and do not really want to go back to working in a shop if I can figure out a way to do it on my own.  However, I do understand the learning curve involved in this business and would love to gain some experience if I can find a situation that would work. 

Do you have a shop or workspace?  The major thing holding me back from going that route is that I don't currently have a space to work in.  I would have to rent shop space in order to do so.   

Edited by Helf8704