How do i know / test to make sure i've got ceramic ?

9 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

For the heat rejection I would go for CTX for sure.  Depending how far south you are in FL, you can just wait for the first film to fail before changing it.

Im right down in the tropics.. SW Florida. Things get stifling hot down here. Summers are crazy, and winters are cooler, but that sun is out all day every day.

27 minutes ago, thedoc46 said:

Im right down in the tropics.. SW Florida. Things get stifling hot down here. Summers are crazy, and winters are cooler, but that sun is out all day every day.

Other FL tinters can chime it, but I believe ATC or CTX only lasts 4-5 years down there.  So depends how long you want to keep the car.

So, a couple of days ago i changed at an authorized Llumar down this neck of the woods, the fronts from presumably was ATX 30% to CTX 15%, Anyway, i also have a temp gauge that i use for other things, and i'm not really finding any difference between the two.. Front and back.. Again this is all presuming i really have CTX on the front and ATX on the back. The dealer could of been feeling generous and put CTX on the car for the lot. Somehow doubt that, or the tint shop could of cheated and put ATX on the front, again i doubt that, besides i tipped the lady on the front desk generously, before she cut the film, thinking to myself less likely to cheat by being nice right ?.. Or most likely there's not really all that much difference at 15% between the two... I did notice in the shop the demo rig they have there to show off Llumar ceramic, is that they only use 30% tints CTX vs ATX to do a heat lamp comparison not 15%. Unless my temp gauge doesn't really gauge properly against glass ? who knows, but the car looks sweet, the tints look exactly the same front and back as far as i can tell. 

Perhaps that type of heat lamp produces better significant differences than the sun does ? i parked my car in sunlight and did my temp tests so that each window had an equal amount of sunlight shining against them.

Edited by thedoc46

Sorry ATC not ATX. I'll just leave it as is. As i said i have a temp gun and the numbers between 15% ATC and 15% CTX do not seem to be all that different.. Perhaps I have CTX on the backs then?  Perhaps this authorized Llumar dealer accidently put 15% ATC on the fronts instead of 15% CTX.. Perhaps there's not as much difference between the two in the real world. Who knows. 

As long as both prevent 99% of UV light, which both are supposed to do, then i'll just learn to live with what i got. 

Guest HawaiianStyle

Best way to check is with a heat lamp and a solar powered heat meter. 
Ceramic tint should read a 5% limo tint around 50-70 BTU’s on the meter.

Regular tint on a 5% limo tint should or will be substantially higher BTU’s in the triple digits around 4-500 BTU’s. 

Basically if you don’t have a heat lamp, get the meter and test in direct sunlight at the hottest point of the day. Done! I’ve used this method to make sure o got what I paid for. They can and will tell you whatever they want for your business/money. Hope this helps! 

I know I am late to the party but I think the best way to determine if it is ATC or CTX is that CTX will not match the rear.  The CTX film has a sheen where as the ATC will match in color to the rears even if it is a different shade.  I recommend customers to use either ATC or IRX to keep a uniform appearance.  CTX will stand out against factory tinted glass.  I also recommend installing film over the factory tinted glass.  

Hey just trying to figure out the same. Got ctx done. They told me I got 35/20 and air 80. However after looking they don't even make the 15%. When I asked they said "don't worry you will get the 20." So got a but meter to test, I see numbers go from ~200 to ~30, but my wife's factory tint does very similar. They have me some lot numbers but do not know how useful that would be. Wondering how I should approach the situation, or somehow confirm what type of tint I got.