Florida medical exemption

liftedpsd2010

1 hour ago, DynamicATL said:

As far as the traveling through other states, your exemption is for Florida.  So soon as you pass into GA, SC, NC, etc...it is 100% illegal and can be pulled over/ticketed.  Especially in GA with the Georgia State Patrol...tint is a pet peeve for them.  It is like when I went to NC...I wanted to bring my gun.  I have a GA Carry License that was honored in NC, but not SC.  So if I was pulled over in SC, I would of gone to jail...so left it at home.  Luckily they now accept GA Carry License in their state.

I always thought that as an equipment/status violation they had to treat it with regard to where the vehicle is registered, just like with states that don't issue a front license plate. In Wyoming you're required to have a front plate displayed on the front of the vehicle(can't have it in the windshield on the dash) but if you're from NC or AZ or some other state that doesn't either issue or require it you can't be ticketed for not having it while you're in WY.

I always thought that as an equipment/status violation they had to treat it with regard to where the vehicle is registered, just like with states that don't issue a front license plate. In Wyoming you're required to have a front plate displayed on the front of the vehicle(can't have it in the windshield on the dash) but if you're from NC or AZ or some other state that doesn't either issue or require it you can't be ticketed for not having it while you're in WY.

I hope it’s like that. I really don’t want any tickets. I mean when traveling I’ll have my 4 kids and wife I think it all depends on who you are and how you act if they will ticket.

As dark as it is I think you're going to be stopped and hassled regularly for it, at least out of state, whether or not you get a ticket will be a crapshoot it sounds like. If you do get a ticket you can always try to fight it in court with your exemption, if it's worth your time to do so.

27 minutes ago, highplains said:

I seen atleast 10 people get ticketed in GA coming from FL.  Plus if you Google it, you can find police forums where they talk about ticketing out-of-state people for window tint...a lot of the time they use it for a reason to pull people over.  As for the license plate, that is state issued...so people do not have a choice.  You either have both plates or one based on your state.  When it comes to window tint, that is being chosen by the person plus it is viewed as a public safety issue.  Another example is Laser Jammers...they are perfectly legal in GA.  However go to Virginia running one of them...good luck.

Edited by DynamicATL

Window tint is like a color of a vehicle.  No other state will have jurisdiction as it can't be changed like a radar/laser detector could be.   

If it was legal to have a red car in one state but not another that would not be enforceable in a state that it was illegal.

They might hassle you and might even ticket you but the ticket would be based on their state law and it does not apply to vehicles outside of their state. 

Window tint is like a color of a vehicle.  No other state will have jurisdiction as it can't be changed like a radar/laser detector could be.   

If it was legal to have a red car in one state but not another that would not be enforceable in a state that it was illegal.

They might hassle you and might even ticket you but the ticket would be based on their state law and it does not apply to vehicles outside of their state. 

This makes the most sense. I will bring the statue for Florida with me. There’s no way they can expect me to take it off every time
I travel.

I can see both sides to it. Probably going to boil down to if the cops want to mess with it or not. Just traveling through you may get pulled but having all the exemption stuff with you I would likely think the cop wouldn't pursue it much after that. I could be wrong but speaking from experience here the cops don't mess much with out of state tags for tint. 

Just FYI for GA...this is a write up in 2007 which was done after the last law change for window tint.  It covers specifically ticketing out of state drivers even though the tint is legal within their home state.  This goes for most states, only could find two exceptions...Tennessee requires the officer to prove the tint job is illegal in the home state...NY does not ticket out of state drivers for window tint.  I even found a person online saying they received a $200 ticked in GA when they were going to a funeral, both occupants were in their 70's and were forced to pay it.

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/16/1602.asp

Edited by DynamicATL

45 minutes ago, Ryker said:

It would be based on the fact that the vehicle was being driven in that state...same as receiving a speeding ticket.  As far as the color of the car, those are approved by the DOT prior to the manufacturer painting the vehicle.  Now take your vehicle and paint/wrap it in chrome (non-DOT approved like aftermarket window tint), you can receive a ticket due to the public safety issue.  Which has happened to people including Justin Bieber being harassed about it on his Audi R8.

Question I haven't seen asked is what medical problem prompted the waiver request?

There are folks who abuse any type benefit without regard for what harm it brings about to others around them, tint included. Also, states seemingly put out 'blanket' medical waivers for tint without specifically targeting the condition suffered. If you came to my shop with a waiver, I would ask what condition you suffer from that let you to obtain a medical waiver, then I would explain which film is best for said condition.

If you have a condition making you sensitive to Ultraviolet, any shade of film will protect you, making the waiver unnecessary and keeping you and others out of harms way due to visibility problems in the use of dark tint.

If you have a light sensitivity issue determined by an eye doctor, then 5 or 15% film shades would fit a waiver in those states offering them because the law focuses on visible light transmission (how dark or light of a tint being used). If 15% did the trick, why go 5% thus creating a driving hazard for you and others and or creating a cop magnet?

This type approach will shine the light on what motive lies within the waiver holder's desire for tint.