slip solutions

here is an issue I really need to find a solution to...

for the last 3 years, its been J&J baby shampoo and distilled water.  I am thinking we need something else, but not sure what else has been tried and proven to work. We have tried the 3m gel, it worked, but heard it was discontinued, dawn non-concentrated worked for great stick, but it caused too many adhesive distortions as it dries out too fast during the squeegee process (any film shifts, you get broken adhesive tick marks.  Looking for something we can pick up at the local grocery store, or if something is worth it, from online.

On some cars, we wash, clean, clay with slip solution, wash again, and finally wipe with 70% alcohol. (no polishing)

We have issues with the film not wanting to stick to the paint no matter what we do...more soap, less soap mixes, mor or less alcohol mixes, straight water sometimes doesn't mix.

We have heard people applying film over a coating, some people waxing cars, so I'm wondering what the issue could really be.  

For instance, we are working on a ford raptor hood, and the suntek film will not stick at all unless its on a flat part (middle).  We wasted a big piece of film already because it wont stick, so I'm really curious if people think its the soap mix, something on the hood protecting it like a factory coating, or what.  We are going to polish this tomorrow, and it will definitely stick fine. (wholesale job, no polishing included) 

Normally for my shop cars, we do a paint correction prior to the clear bra anyway, so the paintwork is bare bones for sure.  But, after talking to many installers who don't polish prior, I cannot figure out what they are doing different to the point they can get the film to stick where we cannot sometimes until we polish it.  It got to a point, for the benefits of our clients, that we just polish prior to any film install as its cheaper to take 30 to 60 min polishing than waste 150 to 400 in film because hoods and bumpers will not stick.

SO, what is everyone using for a soap slip solutions?  if we can skip the polishing on every single car, efficiency would definitely go up!

At work, for the past 3 years, we’ve used 3M scotchguard with J&J baby soap. I always prefer my solution a little soapier and as far as making it stick, we use straight vinegar. I know it’s smelly but after a few days you get over it. Just my experience. 

Im now starting my own side gig and will be using PremiumShield. I’ll find out how that formula works out

For tack we use 10oz of 70% alcohol and 14oz distilled water. Adjust alcohol accordingly

For slip we use about 4 thumb nail size drops of j&j and the rest water in a 24oz bottle.

If your having problems with it not sticking, you can try wiping it down with Lacquer thinner to remove any wax or coatings or whatever.

I fit Suntek/Llumar and Premiumshield. My slip is three squirts of J&J baby bath from a hand soap dispenser into 500ml water. Flush is a 10% mix of IPA and 90% water. All panels are wiped down with neat IPA before installation paying special attention to edges and wrapped areas. I always use 99% IPA.

Steve

With Suntek i noticed that i needed to add a cap of alcohol into my slip solution, same idea with 3M Venture Shield.

I adjust my mixture based on temperature i am working in as well. 

The best film so far i have used for me is XPEL Ultimate, stretches good, can take a beating, cuts nicely, adhesive is perfect to my liking.

If you want something really sticky try Stek film.

Getting around bends and multicurves is alot about where you start and how you pull. From my experience.  I have attached a pic. Raptor hood is something similar to this hood i did not long agoIMG_20180204_142512.jpg.c20c7c97b8edf03d3fbe61c6732e6d4a.jpg

Edited by BigRuski

Water makes the biggest difference in making a slip solution. Hard water vs soft water. They make a big difference on how much and what kind of soap to use in your slip.  If baby shampoo is not tacking then try baby wash. If the baby wash doesn't work then try Dawn.  As someone else mentioned, you can try a little alcohol in your slip too.  Just a cap full or 2.  Good luck.