Vinyl Wrap prep for car with Body Work

Hey Guys,

I have a 72 Datsun 240z that I want to paint later down the road by sandblasting it (the car has been repainted over the last one), but for a temp fix I am planning on doing a vinyl wrap. I have bought a roll of 3m vinyl. I know that vinyl will show any imperfections and will not stick to anything that is rough and not well prepared. I have been working on spots on my car to fix this issue. I sanded to metal in some spots and applied bondo, then putty.

20180304_140810.jpg

I am about to put automotive primer and a rustoleum flat black on top of any bondo or metal area, but NOT the whole car, just on areas without original paint.

A couple questions.

Is this the right prepping method or should I cover all the original paint?

What should I sand the whole body with to get a good surface to attach the vinyl to? 320 grit?

How long should I let the rustoleum flat black cure for before I apply the vinyl in general? (i know location and humidity matter, but a number to be safe with)

Should I apply clear coat? I think the car does have some areas with clear currently, but its definitely not all clear coated. Does that matter.

If I prep it like I stated do you think it will last around 3 to 4 years?

I have been doing research, but It seems there isn't too much info on this. I just want to do it right. It doesn't need to be prefect, but decent.

Thanks for your time and help,

Shane

On 4/23/2018 at 2:01 AM, supershanesta said:

I understand that not everyone will have the knowledge to help, but its hard to believe not one person could give me some kind of tip or help.

Oh well, busted it out in a weekend.

Thanks BTW

It's a tinting forum, i've been on here for years and didn't know there was a wrap section until today and yours is the first i read, don't be too upset, we don't all do wrap. That being said, how did the wrap lay down? Were there any spots that were problematic? I have a 1995 pickup with dings galore and faded paint that i'd like to wrap, trying to figure out best way to do it for the best look.