Removing tint, possibly FormulaOne Stratos

29 minutes ago, no ma'am said:

I'm supposed to do one today :lol doors are really tight in front corners. 

Yes, if you check my first post, I mentioned that I messed up on the doors twice, and though I didn't say why, this was the reason...

Please let me know if you have any tips for that. I was planning to remove the tweeter unit and door card to see if it would reduce tension on the seal in the corner. 

The other thing I noticed is that the rear end of the seal is lower than the rest of it, so if you trim your bottom edge to have a ~1/8" down inside the seal, the back edge will have a small section of glass exposed. It wouldn't be visible because it would be inside the door shut, but it might catch when the window drops for the door to open because it won't be under the seal the whole time, and as you said, the seal is tight at each end. 

43 minutes ago, no ma'am said:

I'm supposed to do one today :lol doors are really tight in front corners. 

Oh, and word of warning... In the trunk there is electronics in the cavities behind the wheel arch on both sides. The audio amplifier is on the driver's side, and has holes on the top of the case. 

Roughly 50% of bimmerpost form members that got tints installed had the amplifier fail due to water damage. Any water at all from the rear deck drops right onto and into that amplifier!

It's pretty easy to remove (one 10mm nut), or you could put a bag over the top of it probably. 

Cut back edge first... slide forward.... if not shaving/filing. Tuck seals and shrink pattern... use a shank or similar tool to pull seal back up after install and heat down. I use a minimal amount of water in my installs and am quick to clean up and or cover electronics. Also round the shit out of bottom front corner of pattern before install.IMG_4136.JPG.592cce789912f1bdd0f08184a898cc83.JPGIMG_4137.JPG.b5307092909e9d6fc452a3844b18b0d3.JPGIMG_4138.JPG.4fb8d1fa9249ab74eb8a50a019599ca7.JPGIMG_4139.JPG.5e7d5378acf9393fe143468b5bbc0cc2.JPGIMG_4134.JPG.c03d82e28d6ce62fa656571e3ae72eaf.JPG

On 4/14/2018 at 10:32 AM, no ma'am said:

Cut back edge first... slide forward.... if not shaving/filing. Tuck seals and shrink pattern... use a shank or similar tool to pull seal back up after install and heat down. I use a minimal amount of water in my installs and am quick to clean up and or cover electronics. Also round the shit out of bottom front corner of pattern before install.IMG_4136.JPG.592cce789912f1bdd0f08184a898cc83.JPGIMG_4137.JPG.b5307092909e9d6fc452a3844b18b0d3.JPGIMG_4138.JPG.4fb8d1fa9249ab74eb8a50a019599ca7.JPGIMG_4139.JPG.5e7d5378acf9393fe143468b5bbc0cc2.JPGIMG_4134.JPG.c03d82e28d6ce62fa656571e3ae72eaf.JPG

This is really helpful @no ma'am, thanks!

In all of the research I'd done, I'd not heard of 'tucking seals' before. Simply sliding under was always suggested. Sliding under worked for my wife's car, but the seals on the M2 are tight, and the film kept grabbing, especially at the front corner. I'll give this a go next try. 

Ironic that you actually did install Stratos on that M2... The very film I wanted to install, but can't get!

Edited by Nezil

27 minutes ago, Nezil said:

This is really helpful @no ma'am, thanks!

In all of the research I'd done, I'd not heard of 'tucking seals' before. Simply sliding under was always suggested. Sliding under worked for my wife's car, but the seals on the M2 are tight, and the film kept grabbing, especially at the front corner. I'll give this a go next try. 

Ironic that you actually did install Stratos on that M2... The very film I wanted to install, but can't get!

I wouldn't buy stratos to learn on either lol $$$$$$$$

If you wanted that specific product I'm sure there is a local formulaone tint shop in your area that can supply and install it nicely without damaging your vehicle. 

OK, so based on the recommendations of many people on this forum (thanks), I've ordered a short roll of Classic Black 35% from Express (30" x 25'). I'm going to use this to practice with, and may simply stop at that point, because I'm unable to source any decent Ceramic tint film in quantities less than a full 100' roll, and I simply don't need that much.

I was hoping to do the front windshields of both of my cars, and would use a 70% ceramic for that. Express does sell 70% in 50' lengths, so I might consider that down the road.

Thanks to everyone who gave advise about remove, and particularly to @no ma'am, for advise on M2 front doors!

I'll post some pictures of my M2 after the film arrives and I've had a chance to do the install.

Thanks again.