Water bubbles In PPF

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has tips or some sort of process you execute in order to not have water bubbles in your ppf. I'm told if the size of the bubble is smaller than a nickel it will go away through the heat of the sun. If the bubble is bigger than a nickel it needs to be popped using a needle. Please let me know your thoughts and any tips that work for you.
Thanks a lot!

It depends on the install solutions and the environment.  If using our gel and it's not boiling hot or freezing outside, then, yes moisture bubbles should dissipate. 

However, customers do not want to take delivery of a car with bubbles, so you should really strive to eliminate moisture bubbles during the installation process.  Work one section at a time and make sure it is clear before moving to the next section.  Usually, you'll have to step back and look from a couple of different angles to catch them all.

2 hours ago, STEK HOWARD said:

You definitely should not be using a needle to pop water bubbles, this will only create a permanent defect that will most likely haunt you and the customer down the road.

How so? Every PPF installer I have ever known will use a hypodermic needle to pull out a small air pocket if needed myself included. I have never once seen an issue.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, Jake said:

How so? Every PPF installer I have ever known will use a hypodermic needle to pull out a small air pocket if needed myself included. I have never once seen an issue.

I got a bag of them years ago from my cousin who is diabetic ( hard to get otherwise). Been using the small insulin ones for years and not a single issue. 

I have had some in shop I have shown how to use them properly and not leave behind any issues. Issue comes in where someone decides to give it a try and goes straight into the bubble (instead of parallel through the side of the bubble, as in having blood drawn) and into the paint or clear coat causing a micro dimple to the surface and will be seen when done. The small ones for diabetics and pets leave absolutely no evidence in the material or the adhesive layer.... I see more issues pulling the material up and creating adhesive lines introducing contamination back under the film than anything.

1 hour ago, drtint said:

I got a bag of them years ago from my cousin who is diabetic ( hard to get otherwise). Been using the small insulin ones for years and not a single issue. 

I have had some in shop I have shown how to use them properly and not leave behind any issues. Issue comes in where someone decides to give it a try and goes straight into the bubble (instead of parallel through the side of the bubble, as in having blood drawn) and into the paint or clear coat causing a micro dimple to the surface and will be seen when done. The small ones for diabetics and pets leave absolutely no evidence in the material or the adhesive layer.... I see more issues pulling the material up and creating adhesive lines introducing contamination back under the film than anything.

I agree. I hate getting the weird look when I go to the pharmacy to buy them. You don't need a prescription to buy them.I always though "if I am a drug addict wouldn't you rather have me use clean needles". I ended up ordering them online. I only use them one time so they are super sharp. I bought 15 boxes of 100 needles, so i would have to get any for  a long time.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Jake said:

I agree. I have ben using them for years and ZERO issues. Just make sure you are using the smallest diabetic needle you can get. Also I have seen bubbles smaller than a nickel leave air bubbles... so make sure toy get them all out before releasing the vehicle to the customer. 

On 17/4/2018 at 4:28 PM, XPEL Jeff said:

It depends on the install solutions and the environment.  If using our gel and it's not boiling hot or freezing outside, then, yes moisture bubbles should dissipate. 

However, customers do not want to take delivery of a car with bubbles, so you should really strive to eliminate moisture bubbles during the installation process.  Work one section at a time and make sure it is clear before moving to the next section.  Usually, you'll have to step back and look from a couple of different angles to catch them all.

Jeff question. It's possibile that some water bubbles appear 1 hour after the installation ?

It's very difficult if not impossible to squeegee all the fluid out and I have found bubbles forming after a period of time. The only thing I can put that down to is any excess fluid will find it's own way to the weakest point of adhesion. Obviously it's preferable for this not to happen but I have found that fluid will dissipate over a few days if left alone but as has been said, best practice is to check and double check a panel before moving on to the next. If you try to squeegee a bubble after the film has started to cure though you can leave 'snail trails' in the film that won't go away. I would never leave a car in the sun to force dry the film as on a hot day it can actually boil the fluid and leave a vapor bubble that will never go of it's own accord and can leave a ring when you release it with a needle.

Steve

On 5/31/2018 at 10:21 AM, Matteo said:

Jeff question. It's possibile that some water bubbles appear 1 hour after the installation ?

It is possible to get bubbles after the installation with gel products, as sometimes the thin layer of moisture gathers in pockets.  An hour later seems pretty excessive though.  Usually it happens within 15 minutes.

These bubbles will dissapate on their own though.  

You can also minimize this effect by applying more pressure when squeegeeing.