Told the Dealership To Stick it

Long story short(er). Used to work for this large dealership... Did their accessories and Tint work on the side. Brought them home literally every single night. Let them order and stock their own film. Cut prices.. went out full time for my self years past everything was peachy.  Recently they send literally all the Tint work to the $99 guy down the road. Call me to fix screw ups. Stopped  calling for spray in liners-also to another cheapo down the road-also call me for screw ups. Other than that in months and months the only calls I get is for the crap no one else knows how to do... in depth audio/video or esp remote starts on new vehicles. As bad as all that is they screwed me out of a grand at the beginning of the year!  As long as I’ve been doing this I thought I’d protected myself from this sorta thing!  Well finally had it and in a bit of a rage got a call from them wanting... you guess remote start. Told em I had no desire to do it nor the desire to conduct ANY business with them in the future. Got calls from management- expressed my many concerns and by the end of the conversation told em to F*** OFF!  Did I screw up guys?  Honestly?  I stay 7-10 booked out through the entire year and further at Christmas and tax season...  has anyone else hit a point where it wasn’t worth it with a dealership?

We do work for a few shops, but no dealerships...it is a headache I don't want.  All that pre-load crap can be for someone else that wants to work for nothing.  In your situation, I would of done the same thing or double my regular price for their work and only accept same-day payment.  Had a dealer once drop off two vehicles promising more, then when it was time to pay they wanted to send out a check.  Nah son, talk to your boss and get a credit card otherwise you're not getting the cars.

That’s one thing I can say... payment was never an issue until that one time... and from then on out I got payment when I picked vehicle up. Not when I dropped it off. I have 3 other dealerships I do a lot of work for that don’t even flinch at my prices. Cuz we’ll lets face it they’re gonna triple it anyways so more I charge the more they make!  But this shit with sending gravy to the fly by night asshole then call me for the shit that takes actual intelligence to complete isn’t gonna fly. I’m just curious if I shoulda handled it differently or if I’m justified in the outcome

2 hours ago, CnCCustoms said:

That’s one thing I can say... payment was never an issue until that one time... and from then on out I got payment when I picked vehicle up. Not when I dropped it off. I have 3 other dealerships I do a lot of work for that don’t even flinch at my prices. Cuz we’ll lets face it they’re gonna triple it anyways so more I charge the more they make!  But this shit with sending gravy to the fly by night asshole then call me for the shit that takes actual intelligence to complete isn’t gonna fly. I’m just curious if I shoulda handled it differently or if I’m justified in the outcome

I do mostly dealer work, but I always tell them that you either send me everything, or nothing at all! The benefit of using (Us) is that when a new body style comes out (or the vehicle wiring is completely new, with no tech support) we still get everything done for them. But don’t let me catch an easy job down the street over price! If that happens, just be prepared to send everything over there.

We use to do full time work for 2 dealerships and got paid really really well due to both of them sold more Crystalline then our FX Premium.... One dealership lasted 2 yrs and the other 5yrs until they took it in-house. Now they only give us work when installer don’t show up, on vacation, back up, or difficult model...we take it but charge retail price and they are ok with it. I would recommend still keeping a relationship and telling the GM that you can do it but it have to be retail.

Edited by Midtown Houston

I dumped all my dealerships !  soo much work out there and I don't need  their stress with all the HEAT cases that they try to keep customer happy by throwing a tint job in for free....I was charging them full price...but getting the p.o. and having the salespeople call with their need it done now timeline !

no stress with my appointments now !

Good for you!  Seriously, was there any time in the past where us tinters called the shots and made them bend over?? F’ dealers!!! Who needs who?? They need us and we dont need them!  Next time anybody calls me and says, “ i work for a dealer and can give you lots of work”....I’ll say 2 words....f’ you!!! Click!!!

Edited by pbalentine