Seeking Opinions/Advice

A plotter is good for volume work and certain situations. It helps to start with hand cutting so you can understand the patterns and know how they should fit. Folks who go straight to a plotter as beginners sometimes limit their foundation of knowledge. Plus plotter = continued expense. 

Good luck! 

10 hours ago, Tconnor said:

Thank you.  I agree with the 6 months timeframe.  My knowledge on "how to do it" is vast, but actually getting to the point where a customer comes in with a VW GTI or a Porsche GT3, and confidently being able to handle the job without hesitation is where I want to be.  I'm in the process now of gathering as much information as possible, reading, watching videos, techniques etc....I will never just jump into anything for the sake of doing it, as I want to be confident, and be able to back it up with quality work.  

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I totally get that. Sometimes you have to be honest with customers and tell them what you can and cannot do. Unfortunately we can't do it all. Even though I have been doing this a long time there might be a few cars/jobs that I will turn down. I will simply let them know that that is out of my skill level and they might be better served by going to someone else. It sucks, but sometimes you gotta turn some down. Good luck!

I give it all to the lord and praise him for it all. What a great way to be able to teach your son. About life. When i was taught to tint it was by 4.25 plus a year experience tinters.  Thats 100 years of experience.  We need to give back and in teaching trades.Mike Homes. Peggy Sparhawk. Angelo martenize. Chuck Luster. Each one taught me so much . Mike slow and steady. I cleaned widows for him for over a year. peggy was the most steps on how to make it easy. Angelo the fastest tinter i still have ever seen. Still clean. Chuck a true friend and i mix of them all. What im saying is learn from the best you can find to help . If you ask for help most people will step up. May you be blessed.tint with joy.grace .Start learning now dont wait. Just get one car a day . then work up to two.

Start it as a side thing, build up your tools and clients while you have other stable income. Take your time, because when you start you don't want more than you can handle, especially given your starting point. Let the business grow at a do-able pace and try to make it pay for itself, like only buy stuff that the company can buy from tinting cars.