Double layers of 20% vs Single 5% layer ; Which is Darker?

We only double layer on our personal vehicles...really only offered it once because a customer just tinted his car with us, but wanted it darker.  It was a brand new vehicle and we didn't want the risk of damaging the defrosters.  Other than that, they have to pay to have it removed if they want us to retint it.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:14 PM, DynamicATL said:

We only double layer on our personal vehicles...really only offered it once because a customer just tinted his car with us, but wanted it darker.  It was a brand new vehicle and we didn't want the risk of damaging the defrosters.  Other than that, they have to pay to have it removed if they want us to retint it.

For your personal vehicle what is your double tint set up? 
Have you run into any issues with the defrosters on the back glass? (As stated in your post)

Looking to do this, would appreciate feedback! 
I believe 20% over 5% is what I’m looking at (1) instead of 5% over 5% (.25)

On 5/14/2018 at 4:14 PM, DynamicATL said:

I believe you tried to help me on another forum on here - you mentioned you do different layer % to get the darkness you want and not the brown you mentioned. 

Maybe you’ll see this !

I’ll have to try and see where you guys are located - does your shop trim film to the edge of the glass line? 

On 6/16/2023 at 10:11 AM, jnfs1121 said:

For your personal vehicle what is your double tint set up? 
Have you run into any issues with the defrosters on the back glass? (As stated in your post)

Looking to do this, would appreciate feedback! 
I believe 20% over 5% is what I’m looking at (1) instead of 5% over 5% (.25)

On 6/16/2023 at 10:19 AM, jnfs1121 said:

I believe you tried to help me on another forum on here - you mentioned you do different layer % to get the darkness you want and not the brown you mentioned. 

Maybe you’ll see this !

I’ll have to try and see where you guys are located - does your shop trim film to the edge of the glass line? 

I like to do a 15/20 on the rear windows to help block headlights. Up til now, I only did 3M Crystalline, which comes in a 20% but is very brown, so I would do 40% for the 1st layer and 50% for the 2nd layer. No issues with defrosters. We just don't want to risk damage while removing tint from Tesla Model 3s. So if a customer comes back wanting darker, we add a layer instead of replace.

On 6/17/2023 at 1:50 PM, DynamicATL said:

I like to do a 15/20 on the rear windows to help block headlights. Up til now, I only did 3M Crystalline, which comes in a 20% but is very brown, so I would do 40% for the 1st layer and 50% for the 2nd layer. No issues with defrosters. We just don't want to risk damage while removing tint from Tesla Model 3s. So if a customer comes back wanting darker, we add a layer instead of replace.

So in your opinion, as a professional tinter - I currently have XPEL is what my shop offers - I have 5% GLOBAL is what they were running before I really do like how that darkness comes out. 
(currently on my VW) 

I was going to inquire about them doing 20% but am skeptical about the tint “colors” the brown/ or I do sometimes see more of a blue too 

Sorry off track - my question is should they remove what is currently on there and do two new layers ? 5% and 20%?
And should the first layer cure before adding the second? 

appreciate your feedback !