Windshield tinting

Fredward

Hey all. I am a consumer. Doing research on tint for my 4runner. Looking at crystalline or huper. I want the front windshield done but I have questions about legality. 

When I look at the tint law charts there isn't a state that gives a percent for the front windshield. They all just give the as1 line or inches but the tint shops here (tx) will stick cr90 but won't do cr70. 

So I guess my question is is the cr90 just light enough hat no one gets fines ever and is actually still illegal or is there an actuall vlt% allowance on the windshield?  

Thanks!

It is illegal to tint the windshield in Texas.  Only legal option is a sunstrip down to the AS1 line...if no AS1 line is present, then 5".  The shops that are willing to break the law only want to offer the clearest film which will be the Crystalline 90 which is virtually clear.  When you drop down to a 70%, you will be adding some shade to the windshield and typically a hint of blue depending on the film used.

Here in California it is also illegal to have film installed over the entire windshield. I think this would be the case for most every state but you'd have to check with your particular state. 

I don't think anyone would really know if you had CR90 on your windshield unless they really really looked up close. 

We're also in Tx. The law also says that a clear untinted uv film is allowed that is not amber, red or blue. It says that if a film is applied it has to also have a vlt of 70. I know some factory windshields have a lower vlt than others, and when filmis applied some may slip under the limit. We install air 80 all the time. I think it's hard to find a solid answer because of what's considered "clear". Not to mention a slight blue hue is really subjective. If anyone can make this crystal, please do. 

Actually they changed the law in California , so now you can tint your windshield in. 70% or lighter ! I even tinted a sheriffs truck because he knew they changed the law and said as much ! Also the new range rovers have laminated 70% already in the windshield stock , so if their doing that why not make it legal 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Whyme said:

Actually they changed the law in California , so now you can tint your windshield in. 70% or lighter ! I even tinted a sheriffs truck because he knew they changed the law and said as much ! Also the new range rovers have laminated 70% already in the windshield stock , so if their doing that why not make it legal 

The new law I believe you are speaking of requires a doctors note for a skin condition from what I know. I could be wrong but that's what I have seen on the news and in internet searches. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, Fredward said:

Hey all. I am a consumer. Doing research on tint for my 4runner. Looking at crystalline or huper. I want the front windshield done but I have questions about legality. 

When I look at the tint law charts there isn't a state that gives a percent for the front windshield. They all just give the as1 line or inches but the tint shops here (tx) will stick cr90 but won't do cr70. 

So I guess my question is is the cr90 just light enough hat no one gets fines ever and is actually still illegal or is there an actuall vlt% allowance on the windshield?  

Thanks!

I think the answer to your question is "yes" . .. you will probably enjoy the solar heat rejection value  

On 10/3/2018 at 4:13 PM, CaliTINT said:

The new law I believe you are speaking of requires a doctors note for a skin condition from what I know. I could be wrong but that's what I have seen on the news and in internet searches. 

It is legal , you can look it up or ask a cop they know it’s legal now for 70% or lighter 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, Whyme said:

It is legal , you can look it up or ask a cop they know it’s legal now for 70% or lighter 

I just looked it up and all I find is information about the new tint law being for medical exemptions only. I also tinted two cops windshield's a few months ago and they knew or thought it wasn't legal lol. I need look into it more or find the new Vehicle Codes somewhere. I'll let you know what I find but I still believe that doing a whole windshield is illegal in CA.

But so far this is what I found on a website (not official though): 

Many states allow different window tint percentages due to certain medical conditions. Assembly Bill No. 1303 (source) has been approved in September 2017, allowing California drivers to apply for medical exceptions for tinting film.

Previously you could technically get medical exemptions for sunscreening devices on front side windows, but any such devices were illegal to use during nighttime. Under new California window tint laws persons with medical conditions requiring shielding from UV rays can install clear, colorless and transparent material on any window.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Whyme said:

Most windshields on any car and stock windows have 70% VLT or lighter. It has been that way for a long time not just on the new Range Rovers.