Tinting Poly Carbonate sheets

Hey guys, I’m installing some pergolas in my back yard in which we were wanting a tinted poly carbonate cover over the pergolas for obvious reasons and my contractor says she can only get clear poly carbonate. Can we apply window tint to the bottom side of the poly ? Thank you in advance .

Edited by Aaron L
For got a word

Your contractor is correct.  You must apply the proper "blister free" film to the poly first. Then you can tint on top of the "blister free" film after it has cured. :thumb  

If you do not use the proper film first, you will destroy your poly in a matter of months.  

Edited by Bham

Different manufacturers have the proper film available.  Avery Dennison is one.  You just have to make sure you are getting the correct film for poly.  

I would highly recommend an experienced Window Tinter to handle this job.  Your contractor knows what she is doing, but this is not her specialty.  Sub this out to someone who will warranty their install, and make sure you are getting what you want and need.  You want it to last, let the pro handle it.  Sub it out. :twocents  

4 hours ago, Bham said:

Your contractor is correct.  You must apply the proper "blister free" film to the poly first. Then you can tint on top of the "blister free" film after it has cured. :thumb  

If you do not use the proper film first, you will destroy your poly in a matter of months.  

Everything Bham said is on the money,

I just wanted to add that I know Madico makes a film for this. So you could search for a dealer in your area.

Madico, I believe, is the only film manufacturer that has offered 'blister-free'. It is a niche product so check availability. If you cannot get 'blister-free' or care to compare price if found, you can use paint protection film as the carrier for window film to be applied piggy-back.

Window film applied to poly-carbonate will bubble (blister) over time due to out gassing of that plastic (most especially sun exposed). It will not destroy the poly-carbonate; what it will do is hold on to the film's adhesive when you go to remove it. Removing the adhesive will cause irreparable damage to the poly-carbonate surface.

Blister-free and or paint protection film(s) have adhesive of a different chemistry, allowing it to release from the poly-carbonate surface without major residuals to clean away. This is why they are great as carriers for window film use on plastics.😁

Edited by Tintguy1980