How can I cut around these things in the rear windshield?

8 hours ago, pancake said:

How would you cut around the defroster line thing and the circle in this rear windshield situation? 

The braid must be trimmed around.  It will leave a line as long as the braid on the sides.  Just paint that or fill with vinyl.  

As for the shock mount.  You can remove it and trim around the hole in the glass,,,, but the trick is putting it back on.

If the gasket part of the mount grabs to much film before it it FULLY CURED, then it will twist the film as you go to tighten the mount back.

My suggestion (if you have never done one of these)  would be to waste a piece of film and tint the whole glass best you can with the mounts in place, then remove that piece and use it as your pattern for the final install. 

This will help you with the final install to know what to look for as trouble areas.  :twocents 

4 hours ago, Bham said:

The braid must be trimmed around.  It will leave a line as long as the braid on the sides.  Just paint that or fill with vinyl.  

As for the shock mount.  You can remove it and trim around the hole in the glass,,,, but the trick is putting it back on.

If the gasket part of the mount grabs to much film before it it FULLY CURED, then it will twist the film as you go to tighten the mount back.

My suggestion (if you have never done one of these)  would be to waste a piece of film and tint the whole glass best you can with the mounts in place, then remove that piece and use it as your pattern for the final install. 

This will help you with the final install to know what to look for as trouble areas.  :twocents 

Awesome thanks for the tip. So what you're saying is, don't try to cut out a slim rectangle and try to get the defroster line through it but just cut around it and fill the tiny sliver near the edge later? The truck already has privacy glass so it won't be a big deal (at least from the outside you can't tell). 

I'll take a look at how hard it would be to remove the shock mount and maybe trying to measure or cut out a template for the holes before peeling the tint? Either way, thanks for the help!

5 minutes ago, pancake said:

Awesome thanks for the tip. So what you're saying is, don't try to cut out a slim rectangle and try to get the defroster line through it but just cut around it and fill the tiny sliver near the edge later? The truck already has privacy glass so it won't be a big deal (at least from the outside you can't tell). 

I'll take a look at how hard it would be to remove the shock mount and maybe trying to measure or cut out a template for the holes before peeling the tint? Either way, thanks for the help!

I always end up tearing that little strip you are talking about creating, so I just quit trying that.  You will see what I mean when you try it.  

Good luck with the shock mounts. 

2 hours ago, Bham said:

I always end up tearing that little strip you are talking about creating, so I just quit trying that.  You will see what I mean when you try it.  

Thanks! Luckily I have a 2nd windshield so I can actually use that as a template I realized

23 hours ago, Bham said:

Me too, started painting them years ago,

is that an Isuzu rodeo b-glass?

also I used to remove the shock and tint completely over. Use my torch to burn the hole out from the opposite side. Heat it up real good and let it set for a while. That way when I put the shock back on it didn’t twist and ruin the film.

I remove them. Cut and heat around the hole, let sit. Do the rest of the vehicle, finish back glass by spraying silicone on inside of robber grommets, reinstalling rubber grommets and finger tighten the bolt, connect strut to ball mount and use needle nose inside and so get outside. Grommet May turn but won’t twist film.

cheers