Shrinking and Installing Windshields

I do a lot of windshields in Solargard ultra performance 80 % ! And the tint is really really thick , so I had a lot to learn when tinting windshields ! It has to be shaped a little bit different than other tint ! So I use the fabric softener sheets for anti static ! I lay the tint over the window and tape it down and then I start shaping before I cut anything down ! Where as with tint that is not ultra performance I trim it down some before I shape ! But I can’t do that on the windshield 

Edited by Whyme

3 hours ago, jh812 said:

Funny that's one of the three windshields I did today :lol what are you using to lay the film down? I always recommend gloves, it just gives me a better feel for the film. 

I was taught to use dryer sheets and the glove. Like I said I have no issues with back windows and minimal issues with non-ceramic film on windshields.

Hell I didn't have any other major issues with this window except that one corner. I stock ATC, limited CTX and Air. I've done a couple with ATC and no issues, although not a Ram truck...

I don't believe the glass has been replaced but that could be.

One option that might help you in the top corners.......only trim off the film that will not fit on the outside of the windshield before you start your shrink. Regardless of what you use to shrink with...fabric softener or soap...one thing you can do is pull slightly upwards on that part of the film until you move or reshape the finger...don't pull hard...just reasonable pressure while heating. When you get to that area that wants to crease....apply a bit of heat towards the base of the finger yet above where you would have to cut it out or the plotter already cut it. Then go back to the area and it should shrink for you.

Another trick is to get your film locked down and set up to shrink and then take the heat gun and heat at the very bottom and top of the film back and forth in wide motions till the bottom edge of the film starts to cup just a bit towards the glass then shrink as normal...Hope this helps. 

I wet shrink, so I’m not much help to you on that part. But I noticed you use Film-on and were having trouble laying it. I have recently started using it also, love it for back windows that have trouble with peanuts! But part of the reason it works well for that is because it’s designed to dry up quickly, with no harmful residue behind, so that the film sticks well. I don’t get much slide with it, so I don’t use it on windshields. I try to use half the water I normally would with double the slip. I like joy, but I’m sure tint slime or something else would work well also.

17 hours ago, Super Dave said:

I wet shrink, so I’m not much help to you on that part. But I noticed you use Film-on and were having trouble laying it. I have recently started using it also, love it for back windows that have trouble with peanuts! But part of the reason it works well for that is because it’s designed to dry up quickly, with no harmful residue behind, so that the film sticks well. I don’t get much slide with it, so I don’t use it on windshields. I try to use half the water I normally would with double the slip. I like joy, but I’m sure tint slime or something else would work well also.

You wet shrink windshields and back glasses? I have done a wet check after dry shrinking but I am too nervous to apply a lot of heat to a windshield.

Do you mix a special bottle of slip just for windshield installs? I may try the Joy route or possibly get some Tint Slime. My issue yesterday was lack of movement to position the film once I had it 99% on the window. 

I am already committed to doing the window over but what I don't want to do is waste any more ceramic film than I already have. I know I have to learn but damn does it hurt learning with the expensive stuff.

9 minutes ago, ErieTint said:

You wet shrink windshields and back glasses? I have done a wet check after dry shrinking but I am too nervous to apply a lot of heat to a windshield.

Do you mix a special bottle of slip just for windshield installs? I may try the Joy route or possibly get some Tint Slime. My issue yesterday was lack of movement to position the film once I had it 99% on the window. 

I am already committed to doing the window over but what I don't want to do is waste any more ceramic film than I already have. I know I have to learn but damn does it hurt learning with the expensive stuff.

:lol I remember those days buddy, luckily when I did I wasn't using ceramic so just the cheap stuff. IDK how much I threw away though very frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, jh812 said:

:lol I remember those days buddy, luckily when I did I wasn't using ceramic so just the cheap stuff. IDK how much I threw away though very frustrating. 

Thats the thing, I have done a handful of them with LLumar ATC and had very minimal to no issues with it. That Air just kicked my ass yesterday for whatever reason.

I was not left with a good option either. Leave it with the crease and get it later, peel it and try round three for that day or peel it and don't try at all. Would rather steam it off later since the truck will be back, I don't feel like as much of a quitter that way. :lol

I think that is always my luck.... I can do a windshield or any other window for that matter in the cheap stuff and no to very little issue. Ceramic, air or any other unique, expensive window film and I may have to do it 2-3 times. Just how it goes I guess. 

We do 2-3 windshields every day... for the longest time they would bite me...... a lot of it is a mind f*** because “it’s and windshield and needs to be perfect”. Hammer the center top and bottom down. Use a gloved hand as @jh812 said on the bottom corners. And a light stretch method on the top corners. Leave excess to pull on. Works every time