To be 3M certified or not

Is there a big benefit to being 3m certified. Or can you still have a successful tint business without it. Going to be diving into  starting my own tint business. Going to be starting from scratch. No experience in window tinting other than watching tons of videos. Will be attending a school to learn as I do not have the time to train under a shop. Any help is appreciated. 

Is there a benefit? Not sure, since I'm not 3M certified.

There are many shops that aren't, and they have been very successful. So it's not a 'must-have' for your, or anyone's, business. Taking a class is definitely a plus, so that's a good step you're taking. :thumb

What is certified in this business? Ask yourself; can I install window film and do I do a quality job and most of all; would I pay for the work I have performed and am satisfied that I would pay for it. Been doing this for a while. Never been certified by 3m ( outside of the fact they don’t make film) they have their own installation practices that help you achieve your results in installing their materials which is what you need to do anywhere with any material. Not going to get into it, but 3m runs a three day certification program  (after committing to a minimum order)  and what do you feel that is worth. There are a lot of professionals that don’t use 3m and do a tremendous amount of business. I am a college grad and never used the degree I received, also never ordered (but have installed) their products. Doesn’t really mean a lot. You are your sales and pitch and use a quality product and you will be fine. I wrote certifications for 12 years for my installers, doesn’t mean they can’t weld and only install film. 

Bottom line, believe in yourself. I have an auto detailed friend in Kentucky  that does 400,000.00 a year and can’t read or write. You think he was certified?

cheers

3m has a huge name that people know.  other than that, there is nothing that 3m has over any of the other mannys.  years ago i tried 3m and after buying and using 3 rolls, i went back to my other film.

don't know about anyone else, but i can honestly say that 99% of people that call just want their car tinted.  i rarely get questioned on what i brand or type of film i use.

bottom line, if you can tint and tint well, then you will make money.

4 hours ago, jconnors said:

3m has a huge name that people know.  other than that, there is nothing that 3m has over any of the other mannys.  years ago i tried 3m and after buying and using 3 rolls, i went back to my other film.

don't know about anyone else, but i can honestly say that 99% of people that call just want their car tinted.  i rarely get questioned on what i brand or type of film i use.

bottom line, if you can tint and tint well, then you will make money.

I agree, seems like everybody out here in PA just want their windows darker and that's it.

16 hours ago, hvaltierra said:

Is there a big benefit to being 3m certified. Or can you still have a successful tint business without it. Going to be diving into  starting my own tint business. Going to be starting from scratch. No experience in window tinting other than watching tons of videos. Will be attending a school to learn as I do not have the time to train under a shop. Any help is appreciated. 

Don't get 3M especially to start out, look at SolarFX, Global or Express, i'm a fan of Garware manufactured products. Don't try start a shop right after tint school, you may have went to school but you've just started learning. If you can't work for other people i'd do it as a side thing until you got it down because you won't have it down just because of tint school. Also, follow the advice from @DynamicATL a few posts back, it's solid. 

Just depends on the area and how you advertise/market your shop.  We get asked about the film brand a good amount, but we also promote the brands along with our quality because it draws in customers I might not of gotten otherwise.  Surprisingly I get requests for Llumar CTX more than I do for 3M.  I think it also has helped us get to the point of hardly selling our base level film...in the last 3 weeks we have only done Llumar ATC on 2 vehicles a one set of roll ups.  I think it also helps us that there is so much competition here in ATL, so there are plenty of places for the cheap people to go.  However I am sure some markets are damn hard to sell a higher priced film.

Edited by DynamicATL