Frost across doors

I’ve got a job coming up and was wondering how you guys generally apply frost across door seams. It’ll be a 48” privacy strip approx 12’ long. Would you apply it across the door seams and cut it afterward or precut each piece? Was thinking tinting Across would be easier to keep straight. Anything to look out for? IMG_1571.jpeg

Depends on the material. 12' is long... if you are using something like a dusted crystal, that might sag in the middle if you put it all up in one run.

The way I've done stuff like that is to get the film cut from my sign guy to the measurements of the panes.. plus an inch extra on each side.

Put them up one by one.

I've also done long runs like you're thinking and just cut at each pane.  Not really sure which way is better tbh. Installation wise it's probably easier to do it one at a time.. end result wise - it might be straighter doing it in one run.  :chin

I didn’t think about it sagging in the middle. That’s a high possibility. I like the masking tape idea. I’ll probably do something along those lines. I just figured it’d be quicker to do it all at once, although It’d probably be aggravating to try to handle all that film.

You did not say what material you are using. Use something 48" wide and rock on.

Mark your horizontal  "cheat" lines by either opposite surface level marks using water soluble markers or same surface vertical 3 or 4" strips of masking tape spaced about every 2 or 3 feet apart and cut level at your desired height.

Then just butt up your factory edge to either marking system and trim at seams.

Be sure film is "cooked" enough to drag your knife at the bevel edge without lifting . Just like "shaving " a top edge in a vehicle only easier.

Often I'd use a helper and strip and flip multiple panes at a time. Then go for :pizza

Edited by WearTheFoxHat

Here are a few examples of office privacy film installation.  We mark the opposite side with a dry erase marker and put a level line on it. Pulled the strips on a film handler.  The bottom right install was the easiest because I used 36" film.  If you can't remove the handles you only need to split the film right at the handle and seam it.

IMG_20150908_130053202.jpg

20140514_123416.jpg

IMG_20151215_134657907.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeMN said:

:whisper............Actually 3M Dusted Crystal is 48 1/2" wide, Not 48". 

And what is up with that?!?!?!?! 

I'm all for having a little bit more then what 'they' advertise... but what is with these weird measurements?!?!? (Not so much 48" - but 50... really??? 50"  or nothing. No 24".. no 36"... tons of waste, which I realize just means more $$$$ in the manu's pockets... but like.... ugh. Hasn't any of the suits that decide this stuff ever installed an inch of film?!?!?!!?) 

/rant

20 hours ago, Roach said:

And what is up with that?!?!?!?! 

I'm all for having a little bit more then what 'they' advertise... but what is with these weird measurements?!?!? (Not so much 48" - but 50... really??? 50"  or nothing. No 24".. no 36"... tons of waste, which I realize just means more $$$$ in the manu's pockets... but like.... ugh. Hasn't any of the suits that decide this stuff ever installed an inch of film?!?!?!!?) 

/rant

BTW, 3M Dusted Crystal 60", it is 60 1/16" wide.............Lol..........That is the way it is.