What's easier for you guys?

I have a funny feeling that if the prep is done right and parts are removed (grill and headlights stc.) that bulk installs may be easier. Does anyone here find that to be true? Which do you prefer? Bulk or pattern installs and maybe a little explanation if you have time. Thanks

I still prefer bulk installation to kits. I started in a body shop environment where you had to match a single panel, or two, to the existing film and that couldn't always be done with a kit. Bulk installing also offers more flexibility with where and how you can stretch the film, where with a kit you need to follow how the designer intended for it to be installed. Most of the kits I've installed don't fit as well as I feel they should/could and I know that I get a better quality installation by bulking it. Your mileage may vary, bulking is where the vast majority of my experience lies and is what I'm most comfortable with. 

Depends on what the customer wants first of all. Bulk installs take much longer and there is a lot more waste. If the customer will pay for the difference then I will bulk it. If not then kits are the way to go. I also have 8-10 cars I do more frequently than others so I have gone in and adjusted the kits patterns to add material (wrapped edges) and to delete badges, So when I bring up the saved files I basically get the same coverage as a bulk install but the plotter cuts it out saving me a lot of time and material. 

We remove everything we can and bulk most of everything...It is easier and faster...do most fender, hood, door ect.... in 5 min, let it sit for 30 min and wrap edge.We also remove all pdc and heahlamp washer and most of everything on all bumper cut out....this save us a hour on installed.. We can do 4 full Front a day with 2 guys on most vehicle. 

1CEA5749-52E3-4133-B4A6-8CF86865DE72.jpeg

FEE97B2B-02C7-45C3-864B-59F0B6175176.jpeg

6E7C3E5D-9A12-463F-A379-61595D871BAB.jpeg

BE2A652D-3DA5-491F-8485-F26A1BDBDBAD.jpeg

CB275975-8C42-4461-A07D-E66DAD6027BC.jpeg

F2F8AD58-D8AB-47F0-989B-447E4DF2B799.jpeg

B5F4741C-EDC7-4065-A0B8-BD39E4E48A11.jpeg

They both have their pro's and con's. I don't think kits are necessarily quicker, for install sure, but what about the time it takes to find the kit, ensure its right, cut, weed etc. That is added time. I switched from DAP to TruCut and it was a lot more time consuming to extend edges and make other mods, with more time I'm sure I could get a little quicker but still not as simple.

I was more forced to switch from kits to bulk. Film companies don't have different levels of access for their programs to cater for different businesses. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to install PPF every day to cover the crazy fees. So you have to do what fits in with your business.

You don't need to remove a lot off a car to get a better fit with bulk. You can tuck under a headlight instead of trimming in front, you can tuck into the grille rather then having a line going around it. The cons of bulking is material wastage and cutting on a customers car.

32 minutes ago, Supreme said:

They both have their pros and cons....

......The cons of bulking is material wastage and cutting on a customers car.

All good points, a few things (not directed specifically to you @Supreme, just the forum in general) to consider: if you're being cognizant of the material waste and how you're going about the job you can manage it down closer to what you see from a kit, not all the way, but pretty damn close most of the time. As far as cutting on the car that's just hard to get away from, even with a kit at times. Practice cutting on your own vehicle or get a hood from the junk yard to practice on and get your pressure dialed in. Always use a fresh sharp blade and score the film so it tears clean to finish, cutting around a radius or an indent or peak of a body line is going to be your biggest challenge where you're most likely to cut too deep. You'll also need to vary your pressure depending on the panel, I've noticed that metal panels, rigid plastic(like a mirror cap), and flexible plastic(like a bumper cover) all take a slightly different pressure.

A good kit will install faster than a bulk install 9 times out of 10.    A good kit should look just as good as a bulk install 8 times out of 10 (the symmetry and even edges are nice, as are sensor cutouts).  Kits remove some of the liability as well, so it is a good place to start while you further develop your bulking techgnique (which doesn't come overnight).

Having said that, there are some panels and some cars where bulking just makes more sense.  

As an installer, you should learn to be highly skilled at both bulk and precut, that way you can offer different levels of service and value.

Edited by XPEL Jeff