Expected pay per vehicle tinting at a dealership?

Having worked for a dealership in the past, I will say that a lot of tinters overlook several variables when accepting theses types of jobs! (Myself included) I negotiated (what I thought) was a good rate per unit, and then thought, I can do 4 a day with a couple sets of doors in a day easy! What you don’t think about is how much time does it take to get a set of keys from whatever system they are using, how big is the lot, (walking back and forth takes time) also what paper work is associated with getting paid for each vehicle? PO’s, RO’s, addendum’s ect. If you have to do all of that yourself, then you’ll have 3-4hrs a day tied up in just getting the cars to and from your bay. 4 a day with a few roll ups isn’t as easy anymore!

10 hours ago, Prim3e said:

I will be employed by the dealership and will be paid as one of their employees. Idk what you mean by cherry picking/pre loading but I will be tinting and applying paint protection to every new vehicle on the lot. They will be providing all the tools, plotter, and film. 

I appreciate the help because I have no idea what a solid commission is 

Cherry picking is the managers decide what cars they want tinted and preload is tinting every vehicle on the lot and every vehicle that comes in off the truck. If they want to pay you as an employee, either way you are getting used.

there is just too much shady 💩 the management team pulls... If you preload you will be used up (mentally and physically) quick from figuring out how they are using you, and if you do their pick and choose vehicles, they will have you doing other things like seeeping, cleaning, detailing, jumping dead batteries or moving cars because you are on the clock.

see how the interview goes and exactly what they want to do with you and what the responsibilities will be....

in the end, hit em up with a salary you can appreciate and then it doesn’t matter what you do...cherry pick and at times you have nothing to do, you still get paid....preload and you work at your own pace, you still get paid.

cheers

tell you want to be paid by flag hour.....like 3 hrs for a 4 door car, 2.5 hr for 2 door car, 2 hrs for a truck, 4hr for suv.... Each hour at $28 buck....

That way...if you do a car in 1 hrs ....you get 3 flag hour which equal to $84.  This will work for both party because you will tint more car.

They do this for their body and mechanic guy.  Charge 7 flag hour for a brake job that take them 1 hr.

Edited by Midtown Houston

3 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

I know they have a mechanic book that gives the hours for each repair you do to a car. Is there an actual stated time for different window tint installs? I don't mean like "i can do it in 20 min" i mean like is there a written time to do a tint install somewhere?

I doubt it’s official- but down here the 3-4 dealerships I’ve encountered with in house tint pay:   3 hrs for a full and 1 to 1 1/2 for 2 windows 

7 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

I know they have a mechanic book that gives the hours for each repair you do to a car. Is there an actual stated time for different window tint installs? I don't mean like "i can do it in 20 min" i mean like is there a written time to do a tint install somewhere?

That is the official....We still do tint for a few dealership in town when their tinter are on vacation....$400 guarantee daily or flag hour.....which ever is more..  It is a service that we provide for our dealership that sell our Crystalline but still do cheap in-house film.  

it really all depends if your new to the game. take the hourly/salary wages. when your better and faster switch to commissions. i have been tinting automotoives/flat glass for about 18 years now. i can usually knock out a four door in under 2 hours. a 2 door under an hour. all free hand. i used to get hourly wages as i got better i wanted more for how fast i can turn cars around. advice to you is ask for what you think your skills and trade is worth. good luck