Crystalline shrinking method for side windows

I'm new to tint world and recently worked on some cars including my own, friends' & family cars.

I've done a couple of windshields using crystalline but never got to do the side windows.

How do you shrink the side windows? wet shrink like most of other windows? or do similar to windshield method? Dry shrink/ lock bottom and use felt squeegee method?

Also, I'm planning to do Model 3 soon and I heard rear glass needs 60 inch roll but also front windshield needs 60 inch or 40 inch should be enough?

Greatly appreciated!

19 minutes ago, locus said:

I'm new to tint world and recently worked on some cars including my own, friends' & family cars.

I've done a couple of windshields using crystalline but never got to do the side windows.

How do you shrink the side windows? wet shrink like most of other windows? or do similar to windshield method? Dry shrink/ lock bottom and use felt squeegee method?

Also, I'm planning to do Model 3 soon and I heard rear glass needs 60 inch roll but also front windshield needs 60 inch or 40 inch should be enough?

Greatly appreciated!

First question is where are you buying Crystalline from without being a shop meeting the minimum requirements?  Or are you buying that fake Chinese stuff on eBay?

I use to do them dry just like the back glass. I would use a dryer sheet and make an upside down u anchor. At the outside edge of the U I would tape down. Then with two heat gun blow air under and shrink with another gun from the top of the upside down U. It’s the Ryk method on side windows. Same with backglass I’ll break it down it four quadrants and tape it down and use two heat guns. CR like being shrunk like this. Second best method would be same technique but after blowing hot air into the U you lock down the bottom to seal in the hot air and shrink from the top down. Aka pocket shrinking. Hopefully you can imagine all this in your head. Lol 

15 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

First question is where are you buying Crystalline from without being a shop meeting the minimum requirements?  Or are you buying that fake Chinese stuff on eBay?

I do PPF and do carry 3M PPF films and recently purchased opening order with 3M window films. Well I didn't know ebay films are fake Chinese films. I've seen some PPF films selling for below my cost lol. Just you know I only get 3M films from 3M distributor and Xpel films directly from Xpel. 

8 hours ago, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

I use to do them dry just like the back glass. I would use a dryer sheet and make an upside down u anchor. At the outside edge of the U I would tape down. Then with two heat gun blow air under and shrink with another gun from the top of the upside down U. It’s the Ryk method on side windows. Same with backglass I’ll break it down it four quadrants and tape it down and use two heat guns. CR like being shrunk like this. Second best method would be same technique but after blowing hot air into the U you lock down the bottom to seal in the hot air and shrink from the top down. Aka pocket shrinking. Hopefully you can imagine all this in your head. Lol 

Thank you for detail information. I do your second best method for the windshield but never have done using 2 heat guns method. I've watched some youtube and only have seen windshield installation but not side windows.

12 hours ago, locus said:

I do PPF and do carry 3M PPF films and recently purchased opening order with 3M window films. Well I didn't know ebay films are fake Chinese films. I've seen some PPF films selling for below my cost lol. Just you know I only get 3M films from 3M distributor and Xpel films directly from Xpel. 

Thank you for detail information. I do your second best method for the windshield but never have done using 2 heat guns method. I've watched some youtube and only have seen windshield installation but not side windows.

I can teach you to shrink this film in under 5 min for backglass and front windshield or your money back...Houston texas

Edited by Midtown Houston

Greatly appreciated!

I use the snap method on side roll ups. Hang the pattern upside down on the peel board and lock it down, either pull it from the center of the peel board or start from one end going to the other just lifting the film off the board a few inches and shrink it from one side to the other

Those new to snapping need to know that this method requires a different squeegee technique. During normal shrinking you can just use your turbo and squeegee downwards during the second half of install but not with snapping. Snapping requires during the second half of side window install to squeegee outwards and lock the bottom down first.