Michigan Windshield Tint

Hello guys, new member here.  Never was interested in window tint until my doctor 4 years ago mentioned it to help with my migraines I get when driving. Happy to say I haven't had any in 4 years at all.  He wrote me a prescription for severe photo-phobia and stated I needed "full front window tint".  Fast forward now and I now have two vehicles that are fully tinted, my impala has 20% all around excluding the windshield and my other has 5% all around, again excluding the windshield.  I now have two separate prescriptions from two different doctors for the tint, and was looking to get the windshield done in 50 or 35%, really thinking 50%.  Wondering for those with windshield tint, hows the visibility at night?  I don't drive much at night and when I do, my quad retrofit will light the way.  Lastly does anyone know if a medical exemption will cover windshield tint in Michigan?  Talked to a state cop last week and he said I won't have any issues at all with it.  Also stated there is nothing in the law saying I couldn't have the full windshield while having an exemption.

The troop is right, the script is all you need. Some officers in Michigan seem to think you need it added to your license as a restriction, that's not true. With a note from a doctor or optometrist in Michigan you can tint your windows any shade you want including the windshield. I personally had 35% on my windshield for a few years and loved it. Depending on your headlights a 55% would be better.

I have been following Hb5634 for a possible tint law change in Michigan.

27 minutes ago, 07TBSS said:

Edited by bamh5

I'm not a huge fan of anything darker than 50% however the darkest I will install is a 40% film which meters in the low to mid 30's once it's installed. I have a personal vehicle with 50 that my wife drives and she loves it, as it does cut down on some of the glare at night with headlights. It's doesn't hinder much at all in the evening hours imo. If customers ask I first recommend the 80 but if set on darker most go 50. 

12 hours ago, 07TBSS said:

Lastly does anyone know if a medical exemption will cover windshield tint in Michigan?

Based on the law, it sounds like the windshield would still be illegal with the exemption.  The exemption just allows you to tint the front side windows versus only having a 4" strip across them.  The law is below...

The law that covers window applications is. The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bcujfcqnkms44vyrym4cmidy))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-709

"(e) A special window treatment or application determined necessary by a physician or optometrist, for the protection of a person who is light sensitive or photosensitive, if the owner or operator of a motor vehicle has in possession a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway."

23 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

Based on the law, it sounds like the windshield would still be illegal with the exemption.  The exemption just allows you to tint the front side windows versus only having a 4" strip across them.  The law is below...

Not sure where this came from, but that's not how the actual law is written. If you have a note/script in Michigan you can install whatever you want as long as it's not over 35% reflectivity.

3 hours ago, bamh5 said:

Not sure where this came from, but that's not how the actual law is written. If you have a note/script in Michigan you can install whatever you want as long as it's not over 35% reflectivity.

Umm...it came from Michigan.gov.

https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html