Trouble Finding Film

Had a customer call and wants to put "limo" on his windows.

Long story short, another guy in town blew him off so I went over and looked at things. According to LLumar's Film to Glass chart, I don't think there is much of anything I can put on the windows. Old dual pane, not tempered, heavy winter curtains currently to block sun.

He wants something dark but not super reflective. Said he is worried about blinding the neighbors. What I saw didn't really give any good options to get toward the dark end of the scale.

Any ideas or help? Buying from LLumar so limited to their lineup.

Thanks!

The way his family room is laid out, the TV is directly across from the window. Can't see it in the afternoon sun, that's the main issue.

He wants to be able to leave the curtains open more than anything but the added privacy would be a big bonus.

From talking to him it sounded like the "limo" idea was simply the darker the less glare mindset. 

Limo is going to be a definite no and explain to him the reasoning why. I've told some I'd do it but no warranty with it if anything happens and to date I've never installed it. The two things that come to mind for me would either be a) solar screen b) frost, that will help diffuse the sun beam however there will be no seeing out with that. 

On the Film to Glass chart I entered;

Window Type - Clear Dual Pane

Glass Type - Annealed

Peak Outside - Under 109F

Thickness - 1/4" or less

Shadowing - None

Frame Conditions - Good/Flexible

Scratches - None

Altitude - Under 2000'

Pane Size - Under 50 square feet

Attachments - Curtains within 4"

Only one i really question is the frame conditions. Its an older window and what I see between the panes is like aluminum channel. Everything looks like it is in good shape but I'm not a glass or window installer so I am not sure.

Running under those conditions it looks like I can install N-1020 in Bronze but not Charcoal. Also, DR-15 gets max points, DR-25 is not acceptable but DR-35 is.

It does approve All Deco Patterned Films, Dusted Crystal, Etched Frost and Frosted Sparkle. Maybe try and go that route. Its a large front window on a home though so that may look a little out of place being frosted...

I would recommend him going with the DR series but he was worried about that reflectivity. 

This job is small enough that he will almost have to choose something I have and at this point that looks like N-1020 or DR-15, of which I can only use one.

2 hours ago, jh812 said:

Limo is going to be a definite no and explain to him the reasoning why. I've told some I'd do it but no warranty with it if anything happens and to date I've never installed it. The two things that come to mind for me would either be a) solar screen b) frost, that will help diffuse the sun beam however there will be no seeing out with that. 

What is Solar Screen?

6 minutes ago, ErieTint said:

What is Solar Screen?

This is the 80% but they also make a 90% as well. The link provided is where I purchased this set and everything is cut to size. Only took about 20 minutes to assemble and hardly anytime to install. 

https://solarscreenoutlet.com/diy-solar-screen-kits

IMG_20180702_134334-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20180702_134817-1008x756.jpg

Since glare is the main concern I’d say and interior roller shade would be the best bet. Black material in a 3-10% openness should knock that glare down considerably and have the versatility of raising it when not needed. 

But if film is is the only option on the table then I’d do my best to show them DR is the better choice. Even if it meant installing small samples to help demonstrate the final appearance.