Tint Slime Ratios?

Hey all. I'm still a bit of a noob here, but I'm curious to what slime ratios your using?. I live in MO and the humidity here is insane, and it's usually either freezing, or hot as hell. Currently I'm using tint Slime ultra, and the bottle recommends 1oz per gallon of water. I am mixing it 3oz per gallon and still find the film almost too tacky when im lining up the top edge on a roll down. Should I try another oz? I'm using solarFX film and they said their glue is extremely strong (which it is compare to some others I tried). What are your thoughts? anyone else's mix ratio this high?. 

7 hours ago, VisionFX said:

What are your thoughts? anyone else's mix ratio this high?. 

I’m in Houston, humidity is always a problem here. I tried the green tint slime for a while (per recommendation from mani). Never used the orange, though. Last I was using it, I was at 6-7 oz per gallon and still having trouble sliding the film. Oh, and we filter our water (not distilled) so if you forgot to empty a bottle or tank before you left that day, it smelled horrible the next day!  I’ve read that it’s because of the waters minerals breaking the slime down, and if you use distilled that doesn’t happen. Idk for sure, just too much trouble for me, went back to my original (joy) slip. I also use baby shampoo for a few things I install.

2 hours ago, Super Dave said:

I’m in Houston, humidity is always a problem here. I tried the green tint slime for a while (per recommendation from mani). Never used the orange, though. Last I was using it, I was at 6-7 oz per gallon and still having trouble sliding the film. Oh, and we filter our water (not distilled) so if you forgot to empty a bottle or tank before you left that day, it smelled horrible the next day!  I’ve read that it’s because of the waters minerals breaking the slime down, and if you use distilled that doesn’t happen. Idk for sure, just too much trouble for me, went back to my original (joy) slip. I also use baby shampoo for a few things I install.

Im in Houston and we put 2oz of tint slime to every gallon when it is hot and 1oz when it is cooler (which is rare). We only use the orange tint slim....the green one do not work in hot climate.  I have seen the slim do some funny stuff to the adhesive to some film but not with 3M....As for J&J, we use 3oz per gallon when it is hot and we only buy the original and not the off brand.....For some reason the off brand do not work the same as the branded one. We use to have to have to clean our spray nozzle all the time but never had to do it since we got RO water.  Everything slide better with RO (10K - 15K system) water than distill. You are welcome to come get 5 gallon a time of RO water and see for yourself...bring breakfast taco by the way and it is free. You also welcome to come get a few oz of orange slim....

IMG_8929.JPG

Thanks for the replys so far. I'm probably going to mix another oz or maybe 2 into another batch, and see how it holds up. If I still find this inadequate, or notice improvements I'll post back with an update. Super Dave I've never had any issues with the slime ultra going bad over time (not that I've noticed) and I am using distilled as you mentioned, But I'll keep this in mind over the next week or so and see if I do notice a change. 

So. Today I tried a 4oz mix, and it didn't seem to help much.  I think I may be running into more of a problem of the solution just dripping down or away from  parts of the tint/window, cause it seems like only small parts get stuck, not so much getting stuck in general. Any remedies to this?. Maybe a pre prep to help the water not bead up/ drip so much for the window?. 

Update: so after some more research, I  concluded that my isssue most like it caused by some sort of sealant used on the interior glass (maybe anti fog or something). This made so much sense to me, because I noticed my peelboard seemed very slippery, even at a 2oz mixture. So I am going to try purchasing some gs8 Auto Glass stripper to hopefully remove the silicone buildup and have less frustrating installs when confronted with excessive water beading. Thanks to all who replied. If the gs8 works well I'll be opening a new thread to hopefully inform others of this frustrating issue. 

Edited by VisionFX

12 hours ago, Midtown Houston said:

Im in Houston and we put 2oz of tint slime to every gallon when it is hot and 1oz when it is cooler (which is rare). We only use the orange tint slim....the green one do not work in hot climate.  I have seen the slim do some funny stuff to the adhesive to some film but not with 3M....As for J&J, we use 3oz per gallon when it is hot and we only buy the original and not the off brand.....For some reason the off brand do not work the same as the branded one. We use to have to have to clean our spray nozzle all the time but never had to do it since we got RO water.  Everything slide better with RO (10K - 15K system) water than distill. You are welcome to come get 5 gallon a time of RO water and see for yourself...bring breakfast taco by the way and it is free. You also welcome to come get a few oz of orange slim....

IMG_8929.JPG

How often do you have to change filters/cartridges and how much does that run to service? 

2 hours ago, Super Dave said:

Thanks @Midtown Houston

I’ve been wanting to look into putting in such a system, if u don’t mind me asking, how much do you have in that setup?

This setup is not Afforable to any tinter or ppf installer unless you run a detailing department. There is another route call CR Spotless that will be the best for you. We pay Culligan monthly around $300 for this system....But it is worth over 10k if you were to buy it.