Do Sunglasses Make it look Weird?

Got a call today from a prospective client asking if the Suntek Ultra film I use looks weird with his sunglasses on?  

He said some cars with clear bras look normal and just like the paint but other cars with clear bras looks all prism like and horrible with his glasses on?

Anyone have an answer to this?  

It's not a thing of some films do it and some don't. It is the polarized sunglasses catching light at different angles. Had a lady complain about it once. i explained it was the glasses. then look looked at me and asked "what are you going to do about it"? :lol People are crazy.

From http://www.xpel.com/faqs/

This is a very common occurrence with Paint Protection Film of all brands.  It has to do with the difference in refractive index between the layer of film and the paint on the car.  It is most noticeable on compound-curved surfaces because the film must be stretched over these areas to allow it to be installed without wrinkles.  When the film is stretched, it becomes slightly thinner in those areas which causes the phenomenon seen through polarized glasses.  

It can also occur on flat surfaces when the installer needs to use a drying solution (as opposed to a slip solution) such as alcohol and water to get the needed bond to the paint.  This is due to the difference in viscosity of the fluids and their effect on the adhesive’s properties.

Polarized glasses have this effect on a number of different multi-layer surfaces (not just paint protection film) made of glass or plastic.  

Thanks  for the feedback.  He told me some cars with PPF on them did not look weird with his glasses on but then some cars with PPF on them did look weird with his glasses on??  I wasn't sure if it was a certain type of film that does this or all films in general or just films with hydrophobic top coats or what?

He said he wears his glasses all the time so if this is the case he just won't put the film on at all????   ugh.....

He also mentioned a car in a garage that had film over it that did not look weird with the glasses on but this was in the garage and not direct sunlight.  Is it a sunlight thing with the glasses on?  if there's cloud cover will it look weird?  

TIA  Josh

2 hours ago, JoshVette said:

Thanks  for the feedback.  He told me some cars with PPF on them did not look weird with his glasses on but then some cars with PPF on them did look weird with his glasses on??  I wasn't sure if it was a certain type of film that does this or all films in general or just films with hydrophobic top coats or what?

He said he wears his glasses all the time so if this is the case he just won't put the film on at all????   ugh.....

He also mentioned a car in a garage that had film over it that did not look weird with the glasses on but this was in the garage and not direct sunlight.  Is it a sunlight thing with the glasses on?  if there's cloud cover will it look weird?  

TIA  Josh

I would let this one walk. He will be a torn in your side.

Yes I have this with my own film , I have solargard ultra performance on my windshield and when I wear polarized sunglasses I see some funky rainbow colors , the reason being all the different light filters creating prisms . Non polarized sunglasses have no effect , no colors . Customer sounds unreasonable . Especially after you put a high quality film on his car . This is not Walmart , you don’t just return something if you decide it wasn’t for you .

Edited by Whyme

Thanks for all the feedback.  He hasn't put any film on his car, he was just asking me about the weirdness when his glasses were on and I just honestly didn't know what to tell him.  He did say if the film does it he'd rather not have the film on his car.   

I prob won't do his car since it bugs him so much.  Everyone's different about these sorts of things.  

Thanks for all the insight.

Josh