Looking to help a customer

Ok guys, kind of stuck on this one and want to do what I can or at least what I can to help.

I received a call from a potential customer (out of towner) yesterday explaining he wants to tint the windshield of his RV. He is staying in an RV park near us and leaving first thing Sunday morning. His main goal is to cut as much heat as he can coming through the windshield, the whole rest of the RV is tinted already. He said while driving west in the afternoon sun the heat is just crazy and even full blast AC doesn't help.

I do not currently stock a film to do what he wants, nor can I have a film before he leaves town.

My first suggestion to him was AIR 80 or 90, both of which I could get if it weren't a holiday weekend and he wasn't from out of town. I only have a 36" roll of 90 in stock and that just won't to it.

The other suggestion I made was for him to look for a LLumar, LLumar Formula One, 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik dealer closer to his home in NYC.

How should I handle this? I would love to help the customer but don't want to mislead or half ass something. Would rather pass the work along to another reputable shop and have him fully satisfied rather than just content.

@OverLord, do you have any material that would do what he wants? Could try and make it worth your while to come up on an install this weekend. You're the closest installer that I can think of on the board. Didn't know what you carried brand and size wise...

I would just explain given the circumstances you're not able to do the job. Tell him what you normally stock for auto just will not cover it and you can't get film there that quick. Then if he's ever back that way give you some notice and you'll gladly take care of it. Besides if it's a class a with that big ass shield you probably don't want to do it anyways.

25 minutes ago, jh812 said:

I would just explain given the circumstances you're not able to do the job. Tell him what you normally stock for auto just will not cover it and you can't get film there that quick. Then if he's ever back that way give you some notice and you'll gladly take care of it. Besides if it's a class a with that big ass shield you probably don't want to do it anyways.

I do but I don't at the same time. 

The do is there just to say I did. The kind of thing thats a feather in your cap per say.

The don't is there because damn thats a big piece of film and a whole lot of potential for headaches. Plus, its outside in the RV park...

17 minutes ago, OverLord said:

How big is the windshield?

My dumbass forgot my tape measure when I went to look at it. Told him I was going to take pictures before I left and forgot those too.

I am guessing it will have to be pulled from a 60 inch roll though. Has to be better than 48 inches from top to bottom. He said width on the RV is 102 not accounting for the curve so probably 110 inches wide give or take a few.

16 minutes ago, jh812 said:

Yeah I'm done with the whole feather in the hat thing :lol no parts of me wants anything to do with that. There was one at the glass shop today I do work for they were replacing. Looking at it and if I had film in hand I wouldn't touch it for less than 2k. It just isn't worth it imo.

If he was paying that much I would find a way to get film here. :lol

12 hours ago, ErieTint said:

My dumbass forgot my tape measure when I went to look at it. Told him I was going to take pictures before I left and forgot those too.

I am guessing it will have to be pulled from a 60 inch roll though. Has to be better than 48 inches from top to bottom. He said width on the RV is 102 not accounting for the curve so probably 110 inches wide give or take a few.

I don't have anything that light in a 60"

7 hours ago, OverLord said:

I don't have anything that light in a 60"

Thats my biggest issue. 

He talked about doing like a 15" Sun Strip at the top but I just don't feel like that is a proper solution for the issue he is complaining about.

Gonna call him and just explain that I cannot help him at this time but if for some reason he wants me to do the work that he can let me know when he is back this way.

10 hours ago, Ryker said:

do your light film up 36" then a sun strip above that!

That leaves almost a 24" sun strip which puts it into his view. :sad

We discussed about 15" - 16" being about as low as he would want to go and still be comfortable.

Thought about that option.