Manufacturing Custom Window Tint

Hi,

I am a new member so please forgive me if there are past threads about this.( tried searching but couldn’t find anything) 

i am am totally obsessed with manufacturing my own window tint. I look at cars everyday and imagine a unique looking tint on the every car.

i have some sort of idea of what kind of tint I am looking for but I’m finding t difficult to make the right “look” as to physically see it. 

I am just stuck on where to start? 

I would really appreciate any advice you might have. 

Thanks.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:42 PM, Tint-Titan said:

Hi,

I am a new member so please forgive me if there are past threads about this.( tried searching but couldn’t find anything) 

i am am totally obsessed with manufacturing my own window tint. I look at cars everyday and imagine a unique looking tint on the every car.

i have some sort of idea of what kind of tint I am looking for but I’m finding t difficult to make the right “look” as to physically see it. 

I am just stuck on where to start? 

I would really appreciate any advice you might have. 

Thanks.

Hi Tint-Titan,

Nice to E-meet you.

Manufacturing your own window film would be a heck of an adventurous achievement unless you have a surplus of capital you wouldn't mind laying on the line.

Total investment would really depend on the level of quality you would like to have for the finished product. There are a number of window film producers/manufacturers that would be happy to take your money and attempt to construct the film you desire if you are able to meet their MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity).

My guess is they will only invest the time and energy into creating your specific recipe in the event it will be a product they will produce again and again.

If you want to build your product with the best components money can buy, you will only be able to do so via a small few 'manufacturers'. These will be the bigger producers of finished goods that have access to the very best in adhesive, particle and color/colour stable technology.

The draw back is those guys already produce a vast amount of window film, and supply components and polyesters of differing stages to other window film assemblers throughout the world, and might not be interested in making a '1 off' line. Who knows??

My hope would be that you achieve your goal and make the best window film on the market... I worry that it would be a long journey for you, and could be very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Nice to E-meet you too.

I totally understand the points you have made. It seems to be quite a far-fetched venture for me to design my own tint (and capital intensive too!)

I guess the next step to take is to try and find manufacturers already producing film similar to what I want and seeing how it looks on different cars.

I really do appreciate your advice. People like yourself make forums worthy of joining!

Hope you have a great day.

Shaan

What are you looking for in a film? There are so many options out there already, I’m sure someone here could point you in the right direction. 

Keep in mind that there are different laws everywhere about what is legal to have put on your vehicle. So manufacturers have to stay within certain guidelines. Exp.= tint can only have a certain reflectance %.

no mirror tint etc.

It's hard to explain but I'll try. Imagine normal black tint but has a "tinge" or shade or a colour that you can see (maybe more when light it shining on it) like a red or green.

I really don't know how to explain it.

Hope you/anyone can help.

And thanks for the info - didn't know there was actually a limit on the reflectance!

7 minutes ago, Super Dave said:

Yes sir, it’s probably different amounts in other states, but in Texas I believe it’s like 25% reflectiveness or less. ( if that’s even a word!)

Reflectivity I think would be the correct term. :duckdon't shoot me I wouldn't have mentioned or recognized if you hadn't brought it up :lol