Need some advice

been tinting for a little over a year now, worked for a tint shop for a year however only did side windows, now started to get into rear windows, i can shrink most windows without problems. its just when it comes to harder windows like 2008 polos and mk5 golfs that i find hard. i have read about the lift and pull technique and i was wondering can you pull and shrink towards the non factory edge? also any advice with these windows would be appreciated

You always need shrink with the factory edges! It’s good to hear that you are learning and working in a shop though! There is a natural progression when you are learning to tint. Being able to spend the time it takes to be proficient at 1/4 windows, doors, and finally back windows, is priceless. No doubt you have conquered sides of cars that were difficult, but had you been responsible for the entire job, you never would have taken them. As far as those small bubble hatchback glasses, maybe learn about wet shrinking. ( or pocket shrinking) I’ve noticed that less experienced tinters “who only dry shrink “ have trouble with those type windows at first. When your wet shrinking, there are a couple things you can do to help make it easier. 1) you can cut the film just barely bigger than the border, which will make the fingers (or shrinkable area) appear much less dramatic. Every 1/8 inch bigger around the border that you make it, increases the size of those fingers considerably. 2)  you get to concerts on shrinking small portions at a time, in a more controlled fashion. So when you get to those corners, you can move excess off to the side and out of the way, and slowly pull up amounts of film that you are comfortable shrinking, until all the film is shrank. 

Good luck, you just have to keep at it!

Before dry shrinking was a thing, wet was the only way to go. And we would have to leave a lot of relief on the sides. Basically fingers that went horizontally along the edge. Then we would make relief cuts along the defroster lines which would allow the film to overlap itself, getting rid of the side fingers. You can try that method if you’re not able to shrink a back window 100%. But to answer your question, you CAN NOT shrink to any non-factory straight edge. It’ll buckle and never lay down. 

agree with blackwolf, evolution of tint application has taught many slightly dif methods, I can still remember going What a bounce what? in reference to dry method. can still splice a cut on a defrost, like to see some new tinters try that,  @black YOUR my neighbor man. in charlotte county.hahahah that's awesome. ill have to come see ya one day.  still do beetles and golf rear lil wet on sides. helps slow and concentrate focus on small Fingers without burnout. 

vw golf rear.jpg

Definitely dont anchor it witu an “H” for shrinking and make sure you’re shrinking exaclty with the factory edge in those corners.  For bgs that need more shrink in the corners i will start shrinking for a couple seconds, then pull film flat along side with my hand.