2019 Lexus nx300

Turkey creek tinting

On 5/7/2019 at 4:08 PM, Bham said:

I want to know if these window " can be tinted one time "  using just install soap and a yellow turbo.  ??    

Has anyone tinted these successfully without all the scraping of the coating and crap ??   

Is there any damage or change in the coating after you install film ?  

These are serious questions and inquiring minds NEED to know  :please    

Just now, mrsunshades said:

So yes you can simply wet the window, use a soft scrub pad perhaps,  and then squeegee, installing the film over the IR coating. Only problem with that is the film can never be removed without damaging the IR... that being said,  if one uses a quality product &  do it right the 1st time,  it should not be a problem and the customer will be happy. Just explain everything to them 1st.

film can easily be removed, just loft the edge with a plastic scraper and pull it off. then scrub with a white scrub pad and some super stripper. it works quite well. its just slower then scraping with a razor. i work at a lexus dealer and we see these cars quite often.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, mrsunshades said:

So yes you can simply wet the window, use a soft scrub pad perhaps,  and then squeegee, installing the film over the IR coating. Only problem with that is the film can never be removed without damaging the IR... that being said,  if one uses a quality product &  do it right the 1st time,  it should not be a problem and the customer will be happy. Just explain everything to them 1st.

Sounds like a Lexus design failure. I don't see how it's up to the shop to take responsibility for a poor design.  Here in the desert, sand gets in between the gasket and glass and scratches it, that is going to happen much faster with a soft coat even if it's on the inside.

6 hours ago, Jerry Hernandez said:

Sounds like a Lexus design failure. I don't see how it's up to the shop to take responsibility for a poor design.  Here in the desert, sand gets in between the gasket and glass and scratches it, that is going to happen much faster with a soft coat even if it's on the inside.

i'd agree that its a weakness to the car but as long as you know about it (which you do now) its easy to avoid damaging it. they are easy windows to tint and strip. that's like saying rear defroster lines are a poor design because they can be damaged by a razor blade. its not a poor design, its a feature. 

On 12/15/2018 at 2:48 PM, mrsunshades said:

OK - My customer JUST left my shop with his NX 300 ...TOTALLY satisfied, AND after I scratched the SH*T out of his driver's window!!!

So, I never got the tech bulletin / warning from Eastman, and I always get those - they send them out on any bad situation that would arise from installing film on new cars, as they become aware. So like I said, the first pass of the razor on the driver's side dug right into that IR coating, and it wasn't pretty. So I read about the posibilty of removing all the coating by dry scraping, and it actually works - you can, with new SS blades (I used 6"triumph as well as regular 1" SS blades), remove the coating.  I then went over the whole glass with #000 steel wool, squeegeed and installed my piece. Voila - no bubbles, no troubles!!!  

FYI: The only glass that has the IR is the driver's and passenger's front, but not the small triangle one on the fronts.

You can actually see the IR; it starts about 1/2 inch from the top of the glass (roll it down half way and look from an angle - you can clearly see the edge of the coating.

I also heard that other Lexus models have this, but am not sure yet; will post after clarifying that. 

The image here is when it first happened, after my first few passes - I should have taken an after pic, but got too excited that I was going to solve the problem and not have to stroke a check for hundreds to have the glass replaced!

IMG_20181215_112533944.jpg

If you do it right removing the UV coating should use about this many blades 😔

D631E9E5-CBF1-4286-A6A1-6642B9A2694C.jpeg