Noobie can't get fingers away!

Hey guys. So I'm a noob when it comes to tinting, I've had a few successful attempts on pretty flat windows. But when it comes to the more curvy ones I have a really hard time getting the fingers away (back windows..).

At first I started with some cheap ebay film and I had that problem. The heat gun didn't really help much,.. but when I took a lighter flame for like a half a second on a finger and pushed the air out it got away after some time. I have no reason on why that seems to work better for me? :I I know the cheap tint is not metallized, but you can still use heat guns on it right?

Anyways,.. I got my hands on some Llumar film and I thought it would be a piece of cake tinting this time, but yet again: when I tried with the heat gun the fingers just didn't go away. I even tried with different levels of heat (wasted a lot of film trying)..I used a soft cloth and pressed the fingers towards the outer edge of the window. It seems like the finger almost got burnt and it didn''t move that much around (It just stayed in one position.. while before I could still move it around..,  so it's still refusing to get pushed flat). And when I try with "too much" heat it gets wrinkled and ugly.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I've tried both to not use the heat gun for too long or short periods on the same spot..doesn't make a big difference. When I look at videos on youtube it seems like I goes so smooth, I try to copy the exact same technique..but I must be missing a point.

Any help or tips? 

Any pointers is much appreciated.

3 hours ago, VonJuicyTitz said:

Hmm. Maybe that is why. English isn't my first language. So when you say factory straight edge does that mean the upper and lower part of the window?

He means the films factory straight edge as it comes off the roll. You can only shrink the film vertically, not horizontally. LLumar is a thicker film and is indeed a bit more difficult to shrink. Especially so in the CTX series films when one isnt proficient at heat shrinking film yet. Practice, practice....practice.

1 hour ago, TNTLady said:

He means the films factory straight edge as it comes off the roll. You can only shrink the film vertically, not horizontally. LLumar is a thicker film and is indeed a bit more difficult to shrink. Especially so in the CTX series films when one isnt proficient at heat shrinking film yet. Practice, practice....practice.

Ok, thanks. Yeah I have used it the horizontal way. I'm going to keep on practicing.. I'm actually getting better at tinting with cheap film so... I guess that's better than nothing.

It sucks for me to get quality film without a dealer in Europe. It's so darn expensive.. Wish I had try out the 3M kind... seems like everybody has ease with it.

Btw, people might hate on me for asking this..but is there a cheap/decent kind on film they sell on ebay with internationally free shipping that's good?

No one hates the question. Since you are overseas you may want to google rolls of tint for your area and learn with that. You actually have a couple of vendors over there with fair pricing and able to burn up film learning. 

As far as factory edge, shrink only the sides that come out of the box. The grain is the part in your hand when you pull the film out. If you shrink (against the grain) you will get a spheres that won’t lay down. Reason you shrink factory edge (sides) is because they pull together and seal. With the grain makes them separate and shrink like cutting timber, timber splits up and down, if you cut it with the grain, it doesn’t do that 

On 1.10.2018 at 3:07 AM, drtint said:

As far as factory edge, shrink only the sides that come out of the box. The grain is the part in your hand when you pull the film out. If you shrink (against the grain) you will get a spheres that won’t lay down. Reason you shrink factory edge (sides) is because they pull together and seal. With the grain makes them separate and shrink like cutting timber, timber splits up and down, if you cut it with the grain, it doesn’t do that 

You explained it so well! Thank you! I will keep that in mind next time I tint.