Arch Windows

Arches are easy, onceyou measure and cut your sheet of film,crop the top corners offso they are not wanting to flop down as you are trimming the rest. Then lay the film on the glass and cut the radius, leaving it about 1" long on the bottom.doing this will allow the film to stay off the bottom frame when you are installing it and keep it from touching something and getting crap behind it. 

On 10/3/2018 at 9:42 AM, Tint Eastwood said:

I have found it to be much easier, especially when dealing with large arch top windows, to precut them as close as possible. 

You can make a simple compass with some string and a sharpie. I’ve even used a strip of film when I had misplaced my stringed marker and had to cut it on the job.

Mark your halfway point at the bottom of your piece and then mark the height, extra included each way. Tape or thumb the string  on your center mark and trace out your curve.

Arch tops with the extended legs can be marked by dropping the center below the bottoms of your piece. Just mark you leg heights and center height. Play around with the amount you drop the center until all three points line up. 

When it comes to gothic, ellipse, or bell top type windows I’ll usually try to tape the piece up and mark a general outline. Makes it so much easier not having to deal with all that excess. :twocents 

Yes, always precut arches especially before going up a ladder.

Compassing is easy with symmtrical arches (height = 1/2 the width). For asymmetrical arches use the greater dimension; height or half the width (if half the width is greater than the height times 2). Have I got your mind twisted yet.

i've used a 24" wide inch roll of "carpet protection tape" (basically a wide roll of masking tape, Amazon has it) to place over the hard part to cut of the glass and mark it with a thin pen and use it as a template to make the cuts for the odd shapes, but i still do the straight cuts in place. I also have a beam compass to help with the round cuts. It also works good for templates on quarter glass and rear glass of old pickups etc.Also good for masking off parts of car interior for sloppy jobs.

Edited by Tint Slayer