MH 871 Carriage Issues

Tint Eastwood

So I finally broke down a got a plotter, albeit a cheap one. Expected it would give me some issues along the way but figured I’d at least get a piece or two cut before that happened. 

I bought this off someone local and the best I could tell it had never  been used or even taken out of the box. But it definitely has an issue with the carriage, not sure if this is indicative of the cheapness or it was mishandled somewhere along the way.

There is a grinding and vibration coming from the carriage whenever it tries to track left or right but it usually won’t move. Sometimes it does but it will go the opposite direction then what I’m telling it. If I place my finger on the side it will usually track smoothly with just the slightest pressure. 

Anyone seen a similar issue? Can’t really find anything directly related to this.... :hmmm 

Yeah this thing has me stumped right now. I’ve pulled off the carrier and it seems to be in good order as far as the wheels and how it slides in the track when disconnected from the belt. 

Played around with the belt tensioner and even modified it slightly because it was offset towards the front compared to the drive side. That actually worked for a minute. Was able to control it back and forth smoothly from the button. Restarted the machine and the chatter was back. :crazy 

Thinking you may be right about a control/motor issue. Gone over almost everything mechanical at this point. :wall 

Guest Stop here
On 10/6/2018 at 6:23 AM, Tint Eastwood said:

So I finally broke down a got a plotter, albeit a cheap one. Expected it would give me some issues along the way but figured I’d at least get a piece or two cut before that happened. 

I bought this off someone local and the best I could tell it had never  been used or even taken out of the box. But it definitely has an issue with the carriage, not sure if this is indicative of the cheapness or it was mishandled somewhere along the way.

There is a grinding and vibration coming from the carriage whenever it tries to track left or right but it usually won’t move. Sometimes it does but it will go the opposite direction then what I’m telling it. If I place my finger on the side it will usually track smoothly with just the slightest pressure. 

Anyone seen a similar issue? Can’t really find anything directly related to this.... :hmmm 

Did you ever get it to work, because im having the same problem

Nope never got it working. Ended up calling them and they determined it to be a motor/board malfunction. :dunno  They said it was just out of warranty so I took the L on it. 

If you just bought yours or it is within 1 year from purchase call them. They will warranty/refund you. I ended up with an R-Series (31”) from Sign warehouse. It’s nothing special at all but pretty solid so far for me. (Mainly just small sign vinyl projects).  :twocents