Avoid it happening

Hi guys 

this weekend I was at a car meeting and I saw a Ferrari F12 TDF in in these conditions (pic Attached).

Now, it's not the first time that I see this kind of problem with PPF, especially in some areas like this one. Do you know what is the cause of this problem (why the PPF comes off in that point) ?? How can you be 100% sure before delivering the car? Thanks

IMG_2425.jpg

Edited by Matteo

I am not a PPF expert but seeing as how the vents on cars like that are actually functional and not just for looks, that seem to be a combination of brake dust and road grime getting caught up in the PPF over time.  Not real sure there is much you can do about that.  The brake dust particles are so fine and dark, I would think this is going to happen on all cars like this that are driven often.  Just my :twocents   and patiently waiting on the pro answers to this one.  

7 minutes ago, Bham said:

I am not a PPF expert but seeing as how the vents on cars like that are actually functional and not just for looks, that seem to be a combination of brake dust and road grime getting caught up in the PPF over time.  Not real sure there is much you can do about that.  The brake dust particles are so fine and dark, I would think this is going to happen on all cars like this that are driven often.  Just my :twocents   and patiently waiting on the pro answers to this one.  

Thanks for the reply! I want to understand why the PPF comes off in that point and how to avoid this kind of problem. It never happened to us but I do not want to deliver a car that presents a problem like this after 2 months! Thanks

Yeah, those are obvious lift point where the pattern is trying to adhere to the curve.

Options would be to wrap all the way around like you would the edge of a hood,

or cutting short to where there is no chance of lifting due to the curve pulling against the adhesive. :dunno   

I also notice that the fine particles make the entire pattern rather obvious all the way around. 

Edited by Bham

what film was used? also the best way on bigger projects is to keep the car overnight , that way you can have a second look for this areas that have tendency to open and address it before delivery.

you can do some proactive steps to prevent opening: good prep , de-grease , use some adhesive promoter, heat gun the edges, steam edges, on some film alcohol help to increase bonding.

tdf.png

2 minutes ago, PRatx said:

what film was used? also the best way on bigger projects is to keep the car overnight , that way you can have a second look for this areas that have tendency to open and address it before delivery.

you can do some proactive steps to prevent opening: good prep , de-grease , use some adhesive promoter, heat gun the edges, steam edges, on some film alcohol help to increase bonding.

tdf.png

I don't know what film was used. I only saw the car and I wondered why it happened.
I want to understand how to avoid the problem;)

15 hours ago, blackoutauto said:

i've seen these issues occur in some brands of film not because it wasn't post heated but the glue would stay on the car and the film itself separates from the glue.  Kinda like delamination.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know the "delamination" problem. This is not a delamination, the PPF just comes off in that point and I want to understand why. 

In order to avoid that problem, do you suggest to heated the edge, the corner and the areo-parts after the installation of the PPF? 

Thanks

Dirt and brake dust can only get underneath the film if it has already lifted.  This is a simple case of the installer leaving the film edge on a less than ideal surface adn/or not securing edges completely before delivery.

Film does not do well when left on a tight radius, therefore installers should do all they can to leave the ends on a flatter surface.

You should always use an air compressor on all edges before sending the car on its way, as it will reveal many areas that are not adhered as well as you thought they were.  Once you have exposed these areas, you can use adhesion promotors like XPEL Surface Prep to increase the adhesion, but often it just needs a little moisture removed.

24 minutes ago, XPEL Jeff said:

Dirt and brake dust can only get underneath the film if it has already lifted.  This is a simple case of the installer leaving the film edge on a less than ideal surface adn/or not securing edges completely before delivery.

Film does not do well when left on a tight radius, therefore installers should do all they can to leave the ends on a flatter surface.

You should always use an air compressor on all edges before sending the car on its way, as it will reveal many areas that are not adhered as well as you thought they were.  Once you have exposed these areas, you can use adhesion promotors like XPEL Surface Prep to increase the adhesion, but often it just needs a little moisture removed.

Thanks Jeff for the answer ! 

So the main point is : leave the ends on a flatter surface !

We use air compressor on all edges before sending the car on its way. After that, if we found a "lifted part" it's ok to heated the part with hairdryer or heatgun ?

Anyway, in the case of the picture, the only solution is to replace the panel ? I think is impossible to clean that film...

Thanks