TintDude

The Chat Thread

20 minutes ago, IPATinting said:

any advice or insight would be great

I did not go to college. I went to a tech school after HS... went into the IT field, because I was good at it and liked doing it, at home.. for myself. Once I go into the business world I hated doing it. Got in to tint.... 

Our greatest commodity is time. You're profile says you are 19. Not familiar with where you live... But.. If you truly enjoy tinting... and like dealing with people/customers... I would say that should be your focus. Maybe change your classes next year to be more towards either finances or marketing.... both would help you with building a business. :twocents

The last thing you want is to be 40 and then decide to change fields. Not that it can't be done... It can... but being 19 gives you so, SO much more time to build something for yourself. 

1 minute ago, Roach said:

I did not go to college. I went to a tech school after HS... went into the IT field, because I was good at it and liked doing it, at home.. for myself. Once I go into the business world I hated doing it. Got in to tint.... 

Our greatest commodity is time. You're profile says you are 19. Not familiar with where you live... But.. If you truly enjoy tinting... and like dealing with people/customers... I would say that should be your focus. Maybe change your classes next year to be more towards either finances or marketing.... both would help you with building a business. :twocents

The last thing you want is to be 40 and then decide to change fields. Not that it can't be done... It can... but being 19 gives you so, SO much more time to build something for yourself. 

I appreciate it Roach, I just don’t understand why I should be going to college when anything can be learned with google and how my father went only to get a degree nothing realated to his business that he started from scratch, learning on his own. Even a few of my high school teachers (math and physics) said I would be more successful than half the people from my grade that went off to college. I’m not trying to be cocky but i graduated after taking AP classes with a 4.2 gpa so I am capable of learning haha.

1 minute ago, IPATinting said:

I just don’t understand why I should be going to college when anything can be learned with google

Dude I am totally there. The difference, IMO, is structure. For example... I went thru school, all 12 years. My sister went thru 7th grade, then was home schooled. Her one daughter, who is now in 9th, has been home schooled since 7th. My other niece is currently in 6th - not sure what she will do next year. Either stay in public school, which in our area isn't terrible... or do the home school thing.

I do better with structure.... others can go the self-taught route. I don't think either is better - all depends on the person.

So yeah... between google, youtube, online courses, etc...  No one thing fits everyone. I wouldn't want to go to a dentist that only learned from youtube, but when it comes to a lot of other fields - sure... do what will benefit you the most in the shortest amount of time. :thumb

15 minutes ago, Roach said:

Dude I am totally there. The difference, IMO, is structure. For example... I went thru school, all 12 years. My sister went thru 7th grade, then was home schooled. Her one daughter, who is now in 9th, has been home schooled since 7th. My other niece is currently in 6th - not sure what she will do next year. Either stay in public school, which in our area isn't terrible... or do the home school thing.

I do better with structure.... others can go the self-taught route. I don't think either is better - all depends on the person.

So yeah... between google, youtube, online courses, etc...  No one thing fits everyone. I wouldn't want to go to a dentist that only learned from youtube, but when it comes to a lot of other fields - sure... do what will benefit you the most in the shortest amount of time. :thumb

Haha yessir great point, just gonna sit down and have a talk with the old man, I know he probably knows I can do it, but probably doesn’t see me making a living off of tint which I don’t know why, anyways we’ll see what he has to say.

1 hour ago, IPATinting said:

I appreciate it Roach, I just don’t understand why I should be going to college when anything can be learned with google and how my father went only to get a degree nothing realated to his business that he started from scratch, learning on his own. Even a few of my high school teachers (math and physics) said I would be more successful than half the people from my grade that went off to college. I’m not trying to be cocky but i graduated after taking AP classes with a 4.2 gpa so I am capable of learning haha.

My sister has her Doctorate in statistics, She literally has Dr. infront of her name on her office door. She is a professor and teaches at one of the biggest name schools in Boston....or the country for that matter... Trust me you have heard of the school. ... She has something like 8-10 years of college behind her getting that title. Out of college she started a very successful woman owned road construction business.. Then sold it. At that time I believe her salary was 4-500k a year plus perks. And her husbands was as well. 

She learned much of what it takes to operate a real business in her classes. Today with her teaching job, I think she is making 100k a year +/-. .But she enjoys it more so she is content, even with the pay cut. 

The problem in this trade... and others. Is that guys get stuck in the "I'm a tinter" mindset and never get to the " I'm a business owner" mindset. Some of the most successful people I know in this business... Do not hang or even touch film themselves. There job is to run the business and make sure the "tinter" out back has something to do. I'm not saying you can't make a comfortable living being a tinter..you can. But at some point ..be it 2 years or 22 years.. Your body will not allow you to be a "tinter" ... Where as if. You are a business owner... All you need is a cell phone and a computer... 

Edited by TomTint

5 hours ago, IPATinting said:

but probably doesn’t see me making a living off of tint which I don’t know why, anyways we’ll see what he has to say

4 hours ago, TomTint said:

Where as if. You are a business owner...

And there is the difference. Which isn't to say a tinter can't become a business owner, but the two are not the same... far from it. 

If I were to talk to my parents about what I wanted to do, I would present it more towards the business aspect then just - I wanna tint windows. Which believe me... for the most part I've been a solo tinter/biz owner... and I've made it work, for what I want. But at some point, you can't do everything yourself. So it's better to learn what you need to in order to run a business and build from there. Sure... tint for yourself... until you have too much work coming in that it takes you away from the other things - sales... marketing, etc. You can't be installing tint 8 hours a day and not have time to grow the biz. I mean, you can... but it won't grow as much or as fast as it could otherwise. IMO

Morning ever E body post-28358-0-21302900-1452778186_thumb.gif

Just saw SuperCarBlondie on the SunTek banner at the top of the threads.  Cool. :cool   She shows some absolutely amazing vehicles.  :drool