Llumar curling

Eastman ( Llumar ) over the past couple years has let its flat glass side of the business fall off a cliff... Tho Vista brand has systematically become obsolete and they have not spent a dime to market it. The moment they decided to call it "Pro Select Llumar" ..the writing was on the wall. I suspect they have seen the future of the flat glass market..and it's not pretty.... So they are now putting their eggs in the auto film , PPF basket... and struggling. 

On 3/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, TomTint said:

Eastman ( Llumar ) over the past couple years has let its flat glass side of the business fall off a cliff... Tho Vista brand has systematically become obsolete and they have not spent a dime to market it. The moment they decided to call it "Pro Select Llumar" ..the writing was on the wall. I suspect they have seen the future of the flat glass market..and it's not pretty.... So they are now putting their eggs in the auto film , PPF basket... and struggling. 

😁😁

Edited by Tintguy1980

9 hours ago, Gary_tintington said:

Tom, why do you think the flat market is dying out? I know llumar even stopped making 48"rolls for certain vista films. Their standard llumar flat selection really does suck. 

In large markets, new construction is utilizing incredibly high quality glass, And in some small markets as well. The new building codes are soon going to mandate efficiency levels from glass / window manufacturers that can only be met by utilizing triple pane glass. This eliminates an enormous number of the films that can be installed on the inside. Add to all this, ...because all these are so efficient ..showing a ROI to energy companies or building owners...that will be in the 50-100 year range.. is not attractive. Now... more trouble.. glass manufacturers are coming out with lowE4 or 6 units that you simply can not install any film on the inside period. And let's not forget that film costs are rising and film mfrs like to wheel out their newest and greatest ceramic bla bla bla pixy dust bla bla bla 3.00 psf hocus pocus whatever... "new" film......well as these windows get better..energy efficiency gets better.. energy costs are going down in many cases..that absolutely kills ROI for large projects. .. this will be the case in the next 5-10 years... and if you don't want to hang Film on the exterior of buildings... find another line of work.. 

Well said. I've talked to a couple of our glass companies and the cost of the new glass standard is the only thing slowing widespread use. Both 3m and Llumar have seemed to double down on security film as well.  I would agree with the ten year mark too. As far as automotive, 3m is making moves to come through with a non reflective looking ceramic finally but I haven't  heard of llumar doing anything.