Wierd rainbow streaks

I just did one the other day where I got a window out of the last little bit on the roll and it was no good.

Everything laid out find and looked mostly ok except the last 5"-6" of the window that was at the end of the roll had what looked like waves in it.

I've never gotten that close to the end of a roll before but I'm guessing that was the issue.

35 minutes ago, ErieTint said:

I just did one the other day where I got a window out of the last little bit on the roll and it was no good.

Everything laid out find and looked mostly ok except the last 5"-6" of the window that was at the end of the roll had what looked like waves in it.

I've never gotten that close to the end of a roll before but I'm guessing that was the issue.

Those are core impressions, I usually throw out the last 1-2 feet of film due to that. 

yes I have !  streaks in the film.    only see them when the light is right.......once with llumar and another time with max pro ...dye streaks they called it...also....some windows already have that in the glass and that also may be the issue.......

hard for me to make the call here without being there.....want to drive down so I can look see ?  I'm not too far from Fort Myers beach.   

14 hours ago, highplains said:

Those are core impressions, I usually throw out the last 1-2 feet of film due to that. 

Figured there was a term for it.

I hate throwing film away but that's better than firing up the steamer and fixing windows.

Core (tape) impressions and rainbow streaks are two different issues.

Rainbow streaks are more likely from a phenomenon known as thin-film interference. In the case of window film it is produced  by light traveling through the scratch coat and what reflects off the film surface gets split into different colors. As stated, florescent lighting causes the maximum amount and all other light sources usually display this on a much lesser scale. Tempered glass will also contribute to this phenomenon once film is applied to automotive glass.

This thin-film interference rainbow effect can be seen in architectural films real well after dark with inside florescent lighting. To minimize the phenomenon when using architectural films on building glass, the use of LED is recommended.

You can look at the reflection of a set of (untinted) sliding doors off the glass of a picture hanging on the wall and when the light angle of view is right, you will see a rainbow pattern on the tempered glass of the sliders.

Google 'thin-film interference' and read up.