New windshield, time for tint. 50% vs 70%

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between these shades for my full windshield, I've had 50% in the past on this truck (2017 Ram) and I absolutely loved it.  But the cops sure didn't, it wasn't overly noticeable with factory tint matching but once I went dark (double 15% fronts, 5% over 20% rear) it looked pitch black from the front.  I wish 60% was an option but its either 50% or 70%.  I know 70% is practically transparent but would it add a little shade since I'm running dark tint all around?  50% didn't hinder night driving at all and it added a lot more comfort in the cab, I'm wondering if 70% is a waste or not.  Both pics have 50% on the shield, just with different tint set ups. 

Thanks!

89014AB4-1AE0-4E6A-9400-5F0978E1EC71.jpeg

A3F303EA-7370-4749-8F64-EFE37DBE3CB3.jpeg

Edited by ericferguson8

3 hours ago, ericferguson8 said:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between these shades for my full windshield, I've had 50% in the past on this truck (2017 Ram) and I absolutely loved it.  But the cops sure didn't, it wasn't overly noticeable with factory tint matching but once I went dark (double 15% fronts, 5% over 20% rear) it looked pitch black from the front.  I wish 60% was an option but its either 50% or 70%.  I know 70% is practically transparent but would it add a little shade since I'm running dark tint all around?  50% didn't hinder night driving at all and it added a lot more comfort in the cab, I'm wondering if 70% is a waste or not.  Both pics have 50% on the shield, just with different tint set ups. 

Thanks!

89014AB4-1AE0-4E6A-9400-5F0978E1EC71.jpeg

A3F303EA-7370-4749-8F64-EFE37DBE3CB3.jpeg

My vote would be to actually tint the side front door windows to something more reasonable. 2x 15% is just simply irresponsible and unsafe as that would be darker than even 5% and while it might look "cool" it is these types of installs that attract more attention to all of us who tint and/or have it. At that darkness the cops are going to notice, as they should, anything on the windshield as that contributes to the whole package. 

I've tried every shade up front and I don't care to run anything lighter than 5%, nothing blocks the sun like that does.  I've ran it for 6 years and I've never had a pull over, I only got bothered for the 50% on the shield and where I live you aren't allowed any tint besides on the back windows.  

50% is too dark for me. I do them in 70%, which is light but does as some darkness. Remember, front tint is for heat & UV protection, not to be unseen. Front tint that dark is unsafe.  I think some people just get so used to 5%, they just cant go lighter. I loved 5% back on the day, but dont like it now that im used to lighter films. 

I've done windshields in 50 dyed and 90 ceramic. I have a friend asking me to do his in 35 and I'm dragging my feet.

I like the added glare reduction and the touch of color you get from 50 but would rather have the added heat rejection with the ceramic film.

Really it depends on what you are after. Is it a form or a function thing?

8 hours ago, ErieTint said:

I've done windshields in 50 dyed and 90 ceramic. I have a friend asking me to do his in 35 and I'm dragging my feet.

I like the added glare reduction and the touch of color you get from 50 but would rather have the added heat rejection with the ceramic film.

Really it depends on what you are after. Is it a form or a function thing?

Both, if I could get away with 35% on the windshield I would. I loved the comfort the 50% added, you didn’t really need to use sunglasses with it. I’m not sure what brand they used but I believe it was a ceramic film. Plus my truck sits in the sun all day and I’d like some protection since my dash is leather. They charge $150 for windshields up here, I was wondering if I’d notice a difference in the cab with 70%, plus I like that light smoke look. 50% just looked really dark from the outside considering it’s a “light” film. 

8 hours ago, pbalentine said:

50% is too dark for me. I do them in 70%, which is light but does as some darkness. Remember, front tint is for heat & UV protection, not to be unseen. Front tint that dark is unsafe.  I think some people just get so used to 5%, they just cant go lighter. I loved 5% back on the day, but dont like it now that im used to lighter films. 

I can believe that, the first time I ever had tint I went with 40%. It didn’t add any privacy so I went down to 20%. But in the sun it’s really see through. So I gave 5% a try and I can’t go back. I don’t find it difficult to see out. Plus I like the added darkness inside the cab, not to mention It completely blocks the sun. Love the look as well. 

I keep 55% ceramic in stock but do a lot of 35% ceramic for younger kids. I had 70% on my Tahoe but I didn’t like the way it performed. I’ll be putting 35% on my next truck. I have a medical exemption for sunscreen(permitted in Florida), so I can tint it as dark as I like. The 55% just doesn’t block enough glare for me during the day. 

27 minutes ago, Blackwolftinting said:

I keep 55% ceramic in stock but do a lot of 35% ceramic for younger kids. I had 70% on my Tahoe but I didn’t like the way it performed. I’ll be putting 35% on my next truck. I have a medical exemption for sunscreen(permitted in Florida), so I can tint it as dark as I like. The 55% just doesn’t block enough glare for me during the day. 

So you think 70% would be a waste for $150? Did it change the look or block any glare? 

70% will help with the heat and UV rays which can damage the dash. But it won’t help with glare at all. And you can’t tell it’s on there, other than a super minimal spec of contamination. It’s nearly impossible to get a windshield installed flawlessly, although as professionals we try for that every time.