Applying a sealant for security film

Hi i'm new to the forum but would just like some general advice.

I've just fitted my patio windows with some 8mil Llumar security film and i've read that you need to use some clear sealant to bond it to the windows. 

I've never done this before so could someone give me some general advice on how i would do this and what product to use? And how long i need to leave it before i should do this?

Some general info:

I left a 2mm gap at each side

Film was fitted two days ago

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What you are looking for is Dow Corning 995. It sounds like you installed the film on  residential windows. If that's the case, it's unlikely you will get a large enough bead to be effective. The test standard is 1/2" on the frame, 1/2" on the film and 3/4" at a 45* non concave angle. ... But look on the bright side. Now ...should your glass break, it's going to just fall on the floor in 1 big piece .. Less clean up. 

Edited by TomTint

5 hours ago, brandy93 said:

@TomTint is that really what happens because after reading back on a few more threads on here there seems to be people who think it will hold into place when its not on tempered glass?

My window isn't tempered glass and its on the inside of a doubled glazed patio door

Unless your patio door is 20+ years old, it's either tempered or laminated. And no, a small micro bead of 995 is not going to provide any structural integrity whatsoever. ..it will fall on your floor in 1 piece. 

On 4/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, brandy93 said:

My window isn't tempered glass and its on the inside of a doubled glazed patio door

If the glass is annealed it'll break into large shards allowing the film's adhesive to hold on to more surface area while the shards bite into the frame makes it much more difficult to penetrate or push out the entire sheet.

Tempered glass breaks into small beads, which have less effective edge bit and thereby allowing the entire sheet to fall in easier when forced. This is where it is more critical to have a bead of sealant attaching the film/glass combination to the frame.

8mil will not stop entry however, it will dramatically reduce entry time to the extent it may well discourage a perpetrator.

It's more dependent upon how big a stick they care if, you get my drift.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, TomTint said:

Unless your patio door is 20+ years old, it's either tempered or laminated. And no, a small micro bead of 995 is not going to provide any structural integrity whatsoever. ..it will fall on your floor in 1 piece. 

This is not entirely true. You can get a decent attachment on sliders and the stationary with Dow Corning it clear attachment tape. A 1/2” bead will effectively hold the film and glass in. 

11 hours ago, Filmprolv.com said:

This is not entirely true. You can get a decent attachment on sliders and the stationary with Dow Corning it clear attachment tape. A 1/2” bead will effectively hold the film and glass in. 

..and how many residential sliders have you seen that have room for 1/2” on the frame ?

9 hours ago, Filmprolv.com said:

Here is another residential option.  Small bead of 7 or 995 and a flexible rubber insert. 

2BF6AD99-C6D6-42CC-A8A7-77FD95ECC5A9.jpeg

9 hours ago, Filmprolv.com said:

Not a half inch on the frame. About a 1/2 total. Glaziers use extremely small beads to hold curtain walls together etc. we have tested small beads and they absolutely work. Sure it won’t pass BBM however it will help with FE attempts 

Please don't misinform people that a little beauty bead is anything other than just that. I can show you numerous cases where such a beauty bead was applied only to be compromised in about 3 seconds. There are other factors that many guys do not put into the equation. Such as the frame surface, if it's a painted surface, the structural integrity of 995 is negated, as the caulk is relying on the bite of latex paint on to the frame itself. Also, the 1/2" you are referring to being acceptable for FE, needs 1/4" on the frame at a 90* angle to the frame so the bead can be tooled at 45*.... also very rare to get a residental application with. That 1/4" on the frame.