Dry adhesive films on tempered glass

Guest Tint 999

On 5/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, Guest Tint 999 said:

Hi Tint Eastwood,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it works on PS great as I removed a back van window auto film once with an old electric jug steam.

Problem I have here is often the new I.G. units fitted locally have rough side on #4, we're talking alloy frames, but suspect the steaming might be pretty slow, and if removing aged baked on DA unsure if steaming would do it.....and the flat glass films that usually best suit the needs of the customer being that of I.G. units are Dual Reflective DA. I often wonder why adhesives need to be quite as good, as replacement is eventually necessary!

I am doing myself out of work explaining the future risks to customers of potential scratch risk if some or all of the glass is rough side #4 upon the need to remove later.....

I don't want to get into a durability debate on here, but in my experience in residential installations in an area with high annual sunshine hrs, if a good quality glazing film generally does around 10 yrs before showing signs of any degradation then it has done ok, and this is the reason I am reluctant to just go ahead and install on rough side in many situations because it will be me facing removal at some stage.

However, if I can find a practical method of removing off rough side without risk of scratch damage then there is no issue, plus it may help others here as well, as I believe this to be a common thing outside my own area in other parts of the world as glass manufacturers obviously do not seem to be concerned about glass orientation on the make up of I.G. units.

Given we know it's is not the blade itself but the blade knocking off the tip of the rough glass surface and being dragged along the glass surface that causes the scratching, An idea I thought of was to make up a low volume high pressure water spray fitted in such a way that is sprays onto the leading edge of a triumph blade with the theory being that it kept fine glass fragments away, however this is negated by the likely build up of adhesive on the blade during removal also trapping glass fragments.....

Anyone's input greatly appreciated.

I'm with you on this GT999

I have a house load fo stripping dry adhesive on toughened glass coming my way.

It's a strange possible delamination issue the manufacturer has accepted as a warranty claim.

What I would be interested to know is the difference between CDA and CDF. Is one a detackified ps and therefore a steamer may work or are they both different beasts altogether?

Edited by NZTNT1
grammar

13 hours ago, NZTNT1 said:

I'm with you on this GT999

I have a house load fo stripping dry adhesive on toughened glass coming my way.

It's a strange possible delamination issue the manufacturer has accepted as a warranty claim.

What I would be interested to know is the difference between CDA and CDF. Is one a detackified ps and therefore a steamer may work or are they both different beasts altogether?

CDF, CDA, DA. WA are all acronyms for dry, water activated chemical adhesive. These type adhesives bond during curing time through chemical reaction to the silica in glass and the presence of water. Curing comes about through exposure to heat. The adhesive migrates into the pores of glass and crystalizes, holding the film in place. The only known removal is through razor blade use.

Some acids will do the tricks however, there are seriously extreme risks in their use by comaprison to the standard of scraping it up with a blade. Press harder when scraping with a blade; the theory behind this is to plink up (and off the blade edge) any rough surface pimples rather than nicking them and dragging them in front of the blade during the process.

Future recommendation would be to have in your arsenal of film options a close resemblance pressure sensitive adhesive film product just for toughened glass use.

Edited by Tintguy1980
spell check