Real world performance on Huper C40

You can take surface temperature out of the equation.  Window film is design to absorb and reflect heat, and it has to go somewhere.  Anytime you install film, the surface temperature of the glass always goes up.  It goes up even more with films like ceramic that perform better than dyed films.  

Like TomTint said,, film is not magic.  It doesn't stop heat(what we feel), it only slows it down.  The rest of the vehicle is going to heat up around the tinted windows, therefore conducting and radiating out into the rest of the car.  Window tint is for direct feel of the IR on our skin coming from the sun's energy, not for cooling off an entire car that is baking in the sun.  Not to mention the UV protection, but that's a different subject. 

And yes, @Roach  After having your vehicle tinted all the way around, the windshield is your weak point now as far as blocking heat.  Get it done in something light but performing and you will not regret it.  :thumb   

On 6/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, Bham said:

You can take surface temperature out of the equation.  Window film is design to absorb and reflect heat, and it has to go somewhere.  Anytime you install film, the surface temperature of the glass always goes up.  It goes up even more with films like ceramic that perform better than dyed films.  

Like TomTint said,, film is not magic.  It doesn't stop heat(what we feel), it only slows it down.  The rest of the vehicle is going to heat up around the tinted windows, therefore conducting and radiating out into the rest of the car.  Window tint is for direct feel of the IR on our skin coming from the sun's energy, not for cooling off an entire car that is baking in the sun.  Not to mention the UV protection, but that's a different subject. 

And yes, @Roach  After having your vehicle tinted all the way around, the windshield is your weak point now as far as blocking heat.  Get it done in something light but performing and you will not regret it.  :thumb   

My thought as well, my dealer stated it designed to absorb rather then to reflect it. The residential windows tint is mainly reflecting the sun energy. I think ceramic tint is overrated, I feel the windows like an oven windows in much less energy but you get my point...it radiate heat, thats probably why many with crystalline feels cooler. It doesnt matter the wider HO wavelength rejects as those heats energy accumulating and convecting on the windows itself. The more I think ceramic technology on windows film is probably not suitable for people who drives cars in stop and go traffic most of the time (due to the wind effect cooling the glass).

I understand that its not magic, I thought after spending $500 I would see some noticeable effect on my HVAC system...but I’m seeing only a slight improvement with the maybe second best film manufacturer and due to ceramic technology, I feel the heat from the windows convecting instead. I do feel the benefit of helping with glares though, but if I can redo it...I wont go with HO ceramic. My only feasible solution now to get the front windshield tinted (testing the theory all windows need to be tinted)...even that there are peoples out there that says crystalline or as a matter fact any other 70 tints dont help, if it does help...it helps a bit.

As far as the UV protection, its something that invisible. We know that if it indeed blocks UV, it will beneficial to our skin but again...no way to tell unless with a expensive tools that an average joes dont have. There is no regulation or what so ever in this aftermarket industry, which makes a perfect spot for many who like to sell snake oils.

Edited by cleverchimp

14 minutes ago, cleverchimp said:

My thought as well, my dealer stated it designed to absorb rather then to reflect it. The residential windows tint is mainly reflecting the sun energy. I think ceramic tint is overrated, I feel the windows like an oven windows in much less energy but you get my point...it radiate heat, thats probably why many with crystalline feels cooler. It doesnt matter the wider HO wavelength rejects as those heats energy accumulating and convecting on the windows itself. The more I think ceramic technology on windows film is probably not suitable for people who drives cars in stop and go traffic most of the time.

I understand that its not magic, I thought after spending $500 I would see some noticeable effect on my HVAC system...but I’m seeing only a slight improvement with the maybe second best film manufacturer and due to ceramic technology, I feel the heat from the windows convecting instead. I do feel the benefit of helping with glares though, but if I can redo it...I wont go with HO ceramic. My only feasible solution now to get the front windshield tinted...even that there are peoples out there that says crystalline or as a matter fact any other 70 tints dont help, if it does help...it helps a bit.

As far as the UV protection, its something that invisible. We know that if it indeed blocks UV, it will beneficial to our skin but again...no way to tell unless with a expensive tools that an average joes dont have. There is no regulation or what so ever in this aftermarket industry, which makes a perfect spot for many who like to sell snake oils.

The good part about the UV is that it HAS TO BE 99% rejective of UV because it will fall apart if it wasn't.  Even cheap film has to be very high in the UV rejection scale.  

As for the actual feel benefits.  I am sorry that your tint is not performing as well as you think it should.  I have to disagree with the ceramic part though.  Ceramic is for sure better that regular deep dyed films in the TSER department. Which is the most important part of window film.  You can't help glass being a magnifier for solar heat but ceramic films are the best to fight this problem.  Reflective films are illegal and dangerous so that leaves ceramic or a hybrid film that is high on the IR rejection scale.  

I would not sell snake-oil and do my very best to give my customer the proper film for their application.  I sell ceramic knowing that it works.  :thumb  

2 hours ago, Bham said:

Also, in the first post @cleverchimp, you said "factory privacy glass" .  Pretty sure the Prius is a clear glass vehicle.  :?

Yes you are right about Prius glasses being clear. Sorry, I thought I make myself clear at first. I was testing this on 3 different cars, one without any tint, one with HO and the other is with factory tinted glass. All park in a row, getting the same sun exposure.

Edited by cleverchimp

Here is my personal experience that I'd like to share. I installed "ceramic" tint on my vehicle as well. At first I thought "wow this stuff doesn't really work as good as I thought it would". I was still feeling a good amount of heat. Then one day my friend was picking me up and I jumped out of my car and into their car and I then I "felt" the difference. They had some regular dyed film. Don't base it all off that temperature gauge that you are using but with real world experience of how it "feels". My car does have the windshield done as well. I think its worth it even though its still allowing a lot of sunlight in. 

What ceramic does for me is really get rid of that burning, tingling, stinging, and uncomfortable feeling the sun gives when you are in your car. 

My second vehicle has regular film on the rear, ceramic on the front and nothing on the windshield. I feel the difference between both of my vehicles. eventually I will be installing ceramic on the rears and windshield. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, CaliTINT said:

Here is my personal experience that I'd like to share. I installed "ceramic" tint on my vehicle as well. At first I thought "wow this stuff doesn't really work as good as I thought it would". I was still feeling a good amount of heat. Then one day my friend was picking me up and I jumped out of my car and into their car and I then I "felt" the difference. They had some regular dyed film. Don't base it all off that temperature gauge that you are using but with real world experience of how it "feels". My car does have the windshield done as well. I think its worth it even though its still allowing a lot of sunlight in. 

What ceramic does for me is really get rid of that burning, tingling, stinging, and uncomfortable feeling the sun gives when you are in your car. 

My second vehicle has regular film on the rear, ceramic on the front and nothing on the windshield. I feel the difference between both of my vehicles. eventually I will be installing ceramic on the rears and windshield. 

Maybe doing the windshield will make a difference, what do you have on yours? I was thinking air blue 80 due to the cost, the dealer wanted me to try C50, but I might get trouble with the cop. The C70 appears to have issues, I have another guy test LLumar CTX (different shades then mine) on his Prius Prime and below is his results :

Day 1: 
outside temp: 91 F
Interior temp: 114 F (measured on the front cloth seat)

Day 2: (used sun shade for windshield as the only difference)
Outside Temp: 93 F
Interior temp: 111 F

Day 3: (used sunshade with front windows cracked)
Outside temp: 88 F
Interior temp: 98 F

Front windshield is tinted with the CTX at 80%.
Front windows are 50% CTX
Rear windows and hatch are 15% CTX.

His installer recommend LLumar over HO. 

Edited by cleverchimp

I have 80 percent installed on my windshield. I think it will make a difference but I wouldn't be so worried about measuring temp in your car. Just the real world feeling and performance. To me its totally worth it. If you have the funds for the increased performance,  by all means I say do it