Is it time to move on?

I live in Texas where tint is big business.  In my particular county, dealerships are naturally greedy and have in house tinters to save money.  I'm currently an in house tinter.  I've been working along side a bum who, without exaggeration, tinted about 2 cars a day.  Meanwhile, I have been averaging about 14 cars a day.  The aforementioned bum recently quit and I was excited to have all the inventory to myself.  Keep in mind, every single car on the lot is tinted within a day of it coming in due to my work habits AND I DON'T GET COMEBACKS!  However, my boss feels that it's necessary to hire another tinter in the unlikely event that I get sick or hurt for a week.  I've consistently proven to him that I can handle the workload and am ridiculously reliable.  He knows that I want to work by myself but I honestly think he's annoyed that I'm making more money than him.  What should I do?  Find another job first and give him an ultimatum?  Say, "Fuck it!  No 2 weeks notice and move on"?  Or move to another county without in house tinters and start my own business?  Thanks.

Here's my :twocents .... From a business owner's standpoint, and while he might not be the owner, he's in charge of tinting... you can't fault him for wanting more then 1 person. Because who knows what might happen to you. You could get sick... get into a car accident, trip while out jogging... who knows. So if you are the only tinter, and something happens, he would be stuck. 

As far as the $$$ aspect... you could go to another dealer... or start your own gig. But there's much more to running your own business then just being able to tint. You will be responsible for getting the work, which is the biggest challenge of any business. Certainly it's not impossible - there are plenty of independent shops that are successful. Just don't think all you need to do is put a sign out somewhere and the work will just coming pouring in.

I have always been a big advocate for telling dealers with in house tinters to F.O. .. if. You are truly a skilled tinter.. ( and not in just 3-4 models that were plotter cut ) ..than your skill set is in demand. Like Roach said, there is more to running a business than just slapping plastic on windows. In fact... many of the most successful business owners I know..don't tint themselves at all. 

On 6/9/2019 at 11:10 PM, LB55 said:

14 cars a day is very impressive

impressive is not the word-it's way beyond impressive.

i'm just trying to wrap my head around the thought of doing 14 cars on average a day-holy crap

14 hour day??  pulling cars in and out, cutting, cleaning, shrinking, applying. and no comebacks!!!!!  DAMN!!!!

hands down-best i've ever heard of

i've never wanted to meet a fellow tinter, but you, sir, are someone who i would like to meet and also learn from

21 minutes ago, Film_Pro said:

14 full sedans? No way. Not possible at all.

Taco says 14 cars average-gotta believe him if he says it

maybe he does 7 full cars and a couple suvs and a couple trucks to round it out to 14