purplish in hue brown streaks in new tint w/ photos

1 minute ago, sacrileger said:

thank you.. i have been wondering about the same thing for a while now... the reason for that is because my fingers and hands were getting black from the water which i pushed out.  also, i noticed that the water bubbles underneath the tint were miscoloured and brownish if the soupy water was left there for longer time.. as if the tint colour started bleeding into the soapy water.  the soapy water  simply was not clear.. it was brownish.

i wonder if the type of liquid detergent soup reacted with the tint color.  i wonder if i should have used baby shampoo as some sites recommend to avoid this.

after reading this, I might be half wrong about some of those marks.  Still think some of it is external, but DANG!!  :dang   If that is what happened during install, then you probably have some really crappy film with bad dye.  Sorry bout the eBay thing. That will get you some times.  However, If you felt comfortable with installing then I would try to see if a shop will sell you enough quality film to do redo it or try to research a more quality film that you can purchase.   NOT GILA :nono  

18 minutes ago, sacrileger said:

thank you.. i have been wondering about the same thing for a while now... the reason for that is because my fingers and hands were getting black from the water which i pushed out.  also, i noticed that the water bubbles underneath the tint were miscoloured and brownish if the soupy water was left there for longer time.. as if the tint colour started bleeding into the soapy water.  the soapy water  simply was not clear.. it was brownish.

i wonder if the type of liquid detergent soup reacted with the tint color.  i wonder if i should have used baby shampoo as some sites recommend to avoid this.

as far as the other side, .. i did not use as much liquid and was working a bit faster since i was able to position the film where i wanted it quicker.  i struggled with positioning on the driver side a bit so the water was left on for longer

Yeah there's your issue sounds like it's pushing the color right out which definitely shouldn't happen. That's wild though.

11 minutes ago, Bham said:

after reading this, I might be half wrong about some of those marks.  Still think some of it is external, but DANG!!  :dang   If that is what happened during install, then you probably have some really crappy film with bad dye.  Sorry bout the eBay thing. That will get you some times.  However, If you felt comfortable with installing then I would try to see if a shop will sell you enough quality film to do redo it or try to research a more quality film that you can purchase.   NOT GILA :nono  

i just checked the glass.. it's not external.  i am thinking i pushed the dye around with all the pressure i applied on the film when pushing bubbles out... as suggested by jh812 above.  again, i wonder if the particular soap i used reacted with the dye .... 

so you dont recommend GILA?  wow... i thought they were the 'better' quality brand.

1 minute ago, jh812 said:

Yeah there's your issue sounds like it's pushing the color right out which definitely shouldn't happen. That's wild though.

i have film left.  do you think i should try experimenting?  is it the pressure i applied or the type of soap i used which reacted with the dye and then started bleeding out?  i am leaning towards the soap i used...

If the color is coming out during install, that whole roll is crap.  Not gonna matter if you lighten up on the soap or whatever, this should not happen unless you are installing with something extremely strong in the degreaser department.  And even then it shouldn't happen that way.  

Gila is a DIY film that is somewhat reliable.  They do have higher levels of their products, but still DIY and not going to last very long. 

Edited by Bham

48 minutes ago, jh812 said:

Now these are less likely through big name manufactures because it's checked and to the best of my knowledge graded. The film that isn't up to par likely gets sold off as b grade and could possibly wind up in the hands of someone that sells it like you purchased. Just theory though.

it's a plausible theory.. it came from china ... 

1 minute ago, Bham said:

If the color is coming out during install, that whole roll is crap.  Not gonna matter if you lighten up on the soap or whatever, this should not happen unless you are installing with something extremely strong in the degreaser department.  And even then it shouldn't happen that way.  

Gila is a DIY film that is somewhat reliable.  They do have higher levels of their products, but still DIY and not going to last very long. 

yes... i understand... and it's a good advice.  i chose to go with the ebay stuff as i am inexperienced DIY and expected to make mistakes; thus, ruining film in the process.. which i did... it's a learning curve.. shrinking is the hardest part and i did  have to re-do this many times