AudioMotive in Ottawa Scratched my paint when tinting! Rude owner.

Sounds fishy the guy would take all those pics before the job, so he knew he’d have some ammo for after the job was finished. I don’t buy it at all. In the end, he got a free tint job and will never get the scratch fixed. If he posted pics we could all tell if the scratch was from the installer. I feel like this isn’t his first rodeo. Probably eats all of his dinner, then complains that it was no good to get it comp’d.

10 hours ago, wade_660 said:

Sounds fishy the guy would take all those pics before the job, so he knew he’d have some ammo for after the job was finished. I don’t buy it at all. In the end, he got a free tint job and will never get the scratch fixed. If he posted pics we could all tell if the scratch was from the installer. I feel like this isn’t his first rodeo. Probably eats all of his dinner, then complains that it was no good to get it comp’d.

was thinking the same thing

these situations are posted here all the time and even with both sides of the story, we still don't know who is to blame and no one here can make that call. 

i see a bunch of scenarios here

1) car was scratched when it went in

2) shop scratched car on accident and knows about it and is denying it

3) car got scratched at shop and no one even realized it

4) customer got a scratch after leaving

5) someone walked by car while it sat in shops parking lot and scratched it on accident

6) customer stops for gas on the way to shop and it gets scratched

7) probably others you can come up with.....

i've accidentally damaged cars in my shop before(after almost 30 years, you're gonna have a couple) and i've paid to get them fixed.  but i've also been blamed for damage i didn't do and i will NEVER bend to paying for that.  i, for one, am not a believer that the customer is always right because too many people take advantage of a situation.

So here is an update, I was finally able to roll down the windows after 4-5 days and had a look at the actual tint.  It has about 10-15 dirt specs (white with stuff in the center).  So I will be leaving a review, I just need to get more pics of the dirt specs.  The reason i will leave the review is that the guy said I am on my own with the tint, no warranty, and that was his coverage of the scratch they put in.  Plus he was a total douche.

So the review will be going up in a few days once i have time for more pics and to write it up. 

Meanwhile, the business is AudioMotive in Ottawa, and the douche owner is James Witty.

Disclaimer: this is actually my parent's car which they got weeks earlier.  And woah, someone taking pics before sending a car in for tint work is fishy?  Yeah right, it's due diligence.  I've worked in the auto industry before , and I don't like to accuse people without proof. So there you have it.

I'll put up the pics here as well.  Just busy, this is extra work that shouldn't be required to get a tint job.

Edited by bastige
response to trolls

Your said what.    "4 days prior I prepared by taking pics of all the windows and paint areas around them in case there were scratches/damage after tinting."" NO ONE DOES THIS."

You sound like the guy that eats 90% of his meal and complains to get a free meal. I wonder if your yelp reviews are 70% 1 stars and 30% 2 stars.

Dude!!  4 days before you take pics predicting this would happen. Ive seen this before and pisses me off that people try this. Now!  if you had 4k video in front of the shop that same day 5 mins before handing over the keys. You might have a case. Remember your in snow territory. Your car probably has marks everywhere.

Once your car leaves the shop your done. How can you 100% say it was them" You can't" 

Thats like blaming someone for stealing your wallet and later on you find your wallet. You end up feeling really stupid and bad about it. 

I believe we know what really happened

Guest Douche from audiomotive

Just so everyone here is clear. On jun 3rd we tinted "bastige's" 2016 HYUNDAI Elantra  in xpel ceramic film. When the customer came to pick up the car my sales person had started writing up the bill he mistakenly had regular film in the invoice.  The customer questioned the price and I also noticed and commented that we had used ceramic which the sales person charged accordingly. The customer left the shop then came back in to ask about warranty.  We don’t hand our warranty cards because we don’t receive them from xpel ( might be a canada thing) and it isn’t an issue we offer a lifetime warranty on all our work. The customer seemed to understand this. 

Then fast forward a couple of days later (5th) the customer comes back claiming we scratched his car. I went out to look as this is not something that would normally happen. I noticed that the scratch seems to originate from inside the seam between the door and the quarter panel. I have seen this sort of claim many times and in my haste I may have acted inappropriately and went on the defensive.  The customer claimed he had pictures so I wanted to see them. And from his pictures the scratch did not seem to be there when the picture was taken. I don’t know how long before the picture was taken though all I know at this point was it is there now. And upon looking over the vehicle I noticed scratches on every panel. So I agreed to refund him his money as I didn’t want this matter to progress any longer. When I went back to process the refund I should have said nothing. I did comment that in the future when he picks up a car from somewhere and notices some damage that he should mention it right away as most shops would deny it all together. At this point I think we were both upset. Him at having to come back and try to prove that we damaged it and me at the fact I just worked for free. I will stand by my warranty even though I may have told him I wouldn’t it was more in the heat of the moment. Lots of raised voices from both parties and I also had many customers in my showroom. I have tried to contact "basige" a couple times since then but the phone number kept saying customer not available. If you see this "basige" please contact us. 

Edited by TintDude
Customer first name removed by request

1 hour ago, Cooltimes said:

Your said what.    "4 days prior I prepared by taking pics of all the windows and paint areas around them in case there were scratches/damage after tinting."" NO ONE DOES THIS."

You sound like the guy that eats 90% of his meal and complains to get a free meal. I wonder if your yelp reviews are 70% 1 stars and 30% 2 stars.

Dude!!  4 days before you take pics predicting this would happen. Ive seen this before and pisses me off that people try this. Now!  if you had 4k video in front of the shop that same day 5 mins before handing over the keys. You might have a case. Remember your in snow territory. Your car probably has marks everywhere.

Once your car leaves the shop your done. How can you 100% say it was them" You can't" 

Thats like blaming someone for stealing your wallet and later on you find your wallet. You end up feeling really stupid and bad about it. 

I believe we know what really happened

Every insurance person and every lawyer in the land will tell you to take pics of your car before you have people using box cutters on it's windows.  You're out of line.  And apparently you know everone in the world, because you checked that no one gets pictures/evidence of their car :D   I'm sorry if I am surprisingly informed and smart and that hurts you emotionally.

Also everyone: this is one of their (AudioMotive) accounts, joined just to post this.  They think they're going to bully me here or discredit me, bunch of clowns.

Edited by bastige
feeding the troll

15 hours ago, Guest Douche from audiomotive said:

Just so everyone here is clear. On jun 3rd we tinted "basige's" 2016 HYUNDAI Elantra  in xpel ceramic film. When the customer came to pick up the car my sales person had started writing up the bill he mistakenly had regular film in the invoice.  The customer questioned the price and I also noticed and commented that we had used ceramic which the sales person charged accordingly. The customer left the shop then came back in to ask about warranty.  We don’t hand our warranty cards because we don’t receive them from xpel ( might be a canada thing) and it isn’t an issue we offer a lifetime warranty on all our work. The customer seemed to understand this. 

Then fast forward a couple of days later (5th) the customer comes back claiming we scratched his car. I went out to look as this is not something that would normally happen. I noticed that the scratch seems to originate from inside the seam between the door and the quarter panel. I have seen this sort of claim many times and in my haste I may have acted inappropriately and went on the defensive.  The customer claimed he had pictures so I wanted to see them. And from his pictures the scratch did not seem to be there when the picture was taken. I don’t know how long before the picture was taken though all I know at this point was it is there now. And upon looking over the vehicle I noticed scratches on every panel. So I agreed to refund him his money as I didn’t want this matter to progress any longer. When I went back to process the refund I should have said nothing. I did comment that in the future when he picks up a car from somewhere and notices some damage that he should mention it right away as most shops would deny it all together. At this point I think we were both upset. Him at having to come back and try to prove that we damaged it and me at the fact I just worked for free. I will stand by my warranty even though I may have told him I wouldn’t it was more in the heat of the moment. Lots of raised voices from both parties and I also had many customers in my showroom. I have tried to contact "basige" a couple times since then but the phone number kept saying customer not available. If you see this "basige" please contact us. 

This is a lie, the car was worked on the 4th, and I returned (with my parents) on the 5th.  I didn't then come back to ask about the warranty, I asked on the spot.  You absolutely had your un-profesisonal workers create the scratch running from the inside of the panel out.  Also there is a lot of dirt in the tint, which can only be seen now after all the hundreds of water bubbles evaporated.  Plus your guys worked on the car in a dark dirty bay not your "clean bay" as you would have people believe.  Leaving the ignition on for 2 hours.

You're getting a negative review, get prepared to face some justice.

Edited by TintDude
Customer first name removed by request

13 hours ago, jconnors said:

was thinking the same thing

these situations are posted here all the time and even with both sides of the story, we still don't know who is to blame and no one here can make that call. 

i see a bunch of scenarios here

1) car was scratched when it went in

2) shop scratched car on accident and knows about it and is denying it

3) car got scratched at shop and no one even realized it

4) customer got a scratch after leaving

5) someone walked by car while it sat in shops parking lot and scratched it on accident

6) customer stops for gas on the way to shop and it gets scratched

7) probably others you can come up with.....

i've accidentally damaged cars in my shop before(after almost 30 years, you're gonna have a couple) and i've paid to get them fixed.  but i've also been blamed for damage i didn't do and i will NEVER bend to paying for that.  i, for one, am not a believer that the customer is always right because too many people take advantage of a situation.

Yeah, except that they did create this scratch.  I checked out all the windows and paint near them just before leaving the shop and they were to tint immediately after. So did my dad.  Pics or not.

Edited by bastige