Is this tint job acceptable?

Guest Chad

Guest Make it right!

My advice is to always give someone the chance to make it right - If you talk to the shop, and they genuinely want to keep you as a happy, satisfied customer ... they will step up, man up, put their best guy on the job and take the time to do it right. What you don't want to hear (and what I as a shop owner would never want to say to a customer) is an excuse or any reason that "there is no such thing as a perfect job". It's "Yes sir, very sorry you had to come back, BUT I'm glad you're here now; it's not a problem; we'll make sure it's perfect - don't worry, just hand me the keys and it will be taken care of!" If the dude gives any excuses such as "well, it's really hard to get all the glue off and then there's always the chance some dirt will get under the film, after all there is a 8- 10% industry standard of dirt particles" just leave! Have anyone ever heard of that kind of "industry standard" or something like "well you have to look at the car from 10 ft away"? That is total bullshit - if a custy aint happy and can see something he doesn't like then you fix it! 

2 hours ago, Guest Make it right! said:

My advice is to always give someone the chance to make it right - If you talk to the shop, and they genuinely want to keep you as a happy, satisfied customer ... they will step up, man up, put their best guy on the job and take the time to do it right. What you don't want to hear (and what I as a shop owner would never want to say to a customer) is an excuse or any reason that "there is no such thing as a perfect job". It's "Yes sir, very sorry you had to come back, BUT I'm glad you're here now; it's not a problem; we'll make sure it's perfect - don't worry, just hand me the keys and it will be taken care of!" If the dude gives any excuses such as "well, it's really hard to get all the glue off and then there's always the chance some dirt will get under the film, after all there is a 8- 10% industry standard of dirt particles" just leave! Have anyone ever heard of that kind of "industry standard" or something like "well you have to look at the car from 10 ft away"? That is total bullshit - if a custy aint happy and can see something he doesn't like then you fix it! 

I agree with you for the most part.  If the customer is not happy, simply do what you can to make it right... the majority of the time this works out for everyone.  However, once in a blue moon you have a customer that has expectations that are not realistic.  Someone that wants you to warranty out a back window because of a spec of dust...not a hair or dirt that is noticeable but a little piece of nothing.  This is the customer that you have to give real-world expectations to and let them know that there will always be something.  Why?  In the real world, we all know the second time we tint it, it could have more dust...we do not work in a lab or an air-controlled environment.  So if you approach it with no problem we'll take care of it for you, then you need be prepared to do is a third or fourth time when it still doesn't meet the customer's unrealistic expectations.  What would we do?  We would let them know that we can redo it. but if it turns out the same with a minor imperfection, we would not be redoing it again.  If we feel the customer will still be unhappy, then we would offer to remove the film and offer a full refund. 

These types of customers are few and far between, but we have had a couple of them.  The first one came in saying they use to go to another tint shop and got like 6 cars done there but he decided to come to us.  The shop he was talking about is one of the best in the state and someone we consider the competition.  So from the jump, I was questioning why he was so quick to jump ship from them.  I quickly found out when he wanted us to keep redoing his windshield.  We ended up retinting the windshield twice and the result was damn near perfection with a tiny speck near the bottom of the a-pillar...something you had to see at a crazy angle.  At that point, he had to decide to live with it or get a refund.  He kept it and luckily he never came back.  A few weeks down the road I get a chance to talk to the other shop and they refused to tint his new vehicle because he was a nightmare with his other vehicles. 

Your install could absolutely be much cleaner. Most of those look like concentrated areas of contamination which are never acceptable, at least to my standards. Every tint job will have at least one fine spec here or there it’s just the nature of the beast. I’ve seen much worse but like many others said it could be much cleaner.