Rear window removal

Hi tindude members

Please help as I have a customer car which I removed the tint. However the rear window  glue stick so hard even the glue removal doesn't make it easier to clean..it does appear similar like the flat glass glue because it behaves that way and very hard to get rid of even with glue removals..What is the situation I'm dealing with?and what way to easy clean it as it has all frosted lines as well..first time encountered on car so any advise is much appreciated!!

Cheers

Bestdealtinting 

22 hours ago, bestdealtinting said:

Hi tindude members

Please help as I have a customer car which I removed the tint. However the rear window  glue stick so hard even the glue removal doesn't make it easier to clean..it does appear similar like the flat glass glue because it behaves that way and very hard to get rid of even with glue removals..What is the situation I'm dealing with?and what way to easy clean it as it has all frosted lines as well..first time encountered on car so any advise is much appreciated!!

Cheers

Bestdealtinting 

Just curious, are you absolutely sure it’s adhesive or is it possible the film separated leaving a thin layer of film?

Sometimes happens on older tint. If this is the case then I’ve had luck tinting the back glass, letting it dry, then use a steamer and slowly peel it off. 

If it truly is just really stubborn adhesive then this obviously wouldn’t work. 

Hi Lock, it's adhesive..it's the Lexus Soarer 98, but the film apparently look very good, probably a few years old by the look and feel of it. I never seen this stubborn glue and definitely not auto film glue.. anyone experienced to remove flat glass film on car and seen the how the glue behaves? I just suspect but can't say much as done hundreds  of removal but this is the first like this!! :( 

Use a razor blade in an inconspicuous spot(like top left or right corner). If it flakes, it’s more than likely a laminate layer(film) and not glue. Don’t use the blade over the rear defroster lines*. If it’s determined that it is a layer of film, take a piece of scrap film or the cheapest line you keep in stock. Cut and heat mold as you normally would. Install it as you normally would. Squeegee out as you normally would. Now take a black trash bag and cut it to fit on the outside of the glass. Take trash bag from the outside of the glass, and using slip solution(soapy water), install that black bag over the newly tinted window. Back the vehicle out of your shop and park it in the sun. Make sure the back window is getting full sun. Wait about 30-60 minutes, until the glass is so hot you can only leave a finger on it for less than a second. What you’re doing is using the trash bag as a steamer, steaming the entire piece of glass at one time. The newly installed piece of film *should* bond to the old layer of laminate, and it will all come off in one shot.

if that doesn’t work, get the ole scraper out and begin to go to town. Let customer know he/she will no longer have a functioning defroster. Use soapy water so the adhesive doesn’t get soupy and stuck in the rear deck or c pillar cloth. 

16 hours ago, Blackwolftinting said:

Use a razor blade in an inconspicuous spot(like top left or right corner). If it flakes, it’s more than likely a laminate layer(film) and not glue. Don’t use the blade over the rear defroster lines*. If it’s determined that it is a layer of film, take a piece of scrap film or the cheapest line you keep in stock. Cut and heat mold as you normally would. Install it as you normally would. Squeegee out as you normally would. Now take a black trash bag and cut it to fit on the outside of the glass. Take trash bag from the outside of the glass, and using slip solution(soapy water), install that black bag over the newly tinted window. Back the vehicle out of your shop and park it in the sun. Make sure the back window is getting full sun. Wait about 30-60 minutes, until the glass is so hot you can only leave a finger on it for less than a second. What you’re doing is using the trash bag as a steamer, steaming the entire piece of glass at one time. The newly installed piece of film *should* bond to the old layer of laminate, and it will all come off in one shot.

if that doesn’t work, get the ole scraper out and begin to go to town. Let customer know he/she will no longer have a functioning defroster. Use soapy water so the adhesive doesn’t get soupy and stuck in the rear deck or c pillar cloth. 

Hi Blackwolf,  it is the glue, damn glue spread the whole rear sedan window, it is not flakes, I scrapped some of it between the lines to see..Very different glue type.  The customer  took the  car for roadworthy appointment so i still need to figure out what to do til  next week.. I Have tried all glue removal and iso to  test  the glue,  but  no success, I intend to use steamer and both  steaming and scrap  glue  at the same time. Not sure if I would  work  a bit better or not.. this is winter over here  in Melbourne.. I don't think black bag would work  and I never ever used it too .. but thanks  for the suggestion!

The only thing I can think is the film left a clear layer behind which isn't uncommon. A steamer will likely take that off, it just takes some patience. Worst case I would tint over what's there then let it sit in the sun till it's good and dry (couple hours). After that try bagging it and that may do the trick. Good luck

Like @Tint Slayer said, if it is any kind of glue left, get you some ATR Adhesive Remover.  If you are worried about it being too strong, dilute it 50/50, it still works amazing.  Haven't had to use it full strength yet, but I'm sure it will work great.  

One way to verify whether you have film or just glue is to boil a small section. Boiling always lets you know what you are dealing with.  Use a 5"x7" piece of limo and spray it with whatever liquid you want to, then heat the glass from the outside on that section until the liquid starts to boil under the glass.  Carefully remove the piece of limo and pick at the section you just heated to see if film is coming loose.  If there is film there, this will loosen it enough to tell and pull away.  This method will work for the entire glass is you have it long enough to do it this way. 

Edited by Bham