How to convince my boss to include Auto tinting into our body shop.

Little bit of background. I am an automotive collision technician and lead painter out of body shop and been painting cars for 12 to 13 years. I'm very good at it and it's got to the point where I'm bored of it and just turned into mindless work where I at barely have to focus and still provide quality work. This sucks and it's boring as s*** everyday.

Currently I am tinting windows on the side but am hundred percent mobile and love everything about it! Best part is enjoying the final outcome and the way it is completely changes appearance of the car and how each car is different and requires different techniques. I know I haven't been doing this as long as all you guys have but I have picked it up quickly and all my customers are all satisfied and I get a lot of referrals mainly due to already possessing the most important skills that I've acquired over the years of painting, such as patient, being a perfectionist, and not allowing anything to leave that has any imperfections out of the norm.

The only problem I'm running into using other people's garages is to do my work.

So I'm trying to convince my boss to add Automotive window Tinting the shop. He says he doesn't want to lose a painter and I told him that it would be something that we can do after hours Monday through Friday 5 to 9 and weekends so I can paint during the day and then do what I love the most after 5pm. I'm having problems convincing him how much more money the shop can bring in and how it would benefit both of us but I don't know how to go about it. Do I offer him a percentage of every car or something like 50-50 partners?

If anybody has done this before please help me get a better understanding of how I should approach this. Thanks

Tinting in a body shop.....going to be a mess. ..imagine someone sanding bondo next to you while you are spraying a car black......Decades ago we did work for a few body shops..always had to tint inside the spray booth, or have them bring it to us. The body shops booth is where they make real money..the last thing the owner wants to do is tie up a booth to make dimes while stepping over dollars. 

Edited by TomTint

Really because the paint booth is literally the cleanest area that you can install film. Then the added bonus of the lights...

But yeah I agree Body shop makes more money painting cars which I understand and I continue to be the painter but after hours when I'm installing film it would be nice to do it in the booth and have a location to do it in

Edited by Ross

You either gotta cut bait or fish, your boss is staying focused on his main moneymaker, and ideas like yours could leave him open for liability.

You may have better luck asking him to rent the booth after closing time each night, but in his head he'll picture people walking around his place when he's not there. Also, if you're as good as you claim, he's not going to help you build what he may perceive as your new business and lose his painter. Some people like to stay in that comfortable "if it ain't broke so don't fix it" thought train.

My opinion, the amount of money that you and your boss would make in a few hours is not hardly worth him letting you tie up the shop. 

How much tint can you do in 4 hours and clean up after you're done and what you are able to charge?   

Then the environment of a body shop isn't the best as has been stated.   I have tinted in paint booths and I didn't like the lighting.  I get blinded by the lights on the sides.  Tinting you look out from the vehicle more than looking at it like painting so lights are in your face! 

I do a semi mobile set up and work out of other shops and I would not dream of giving 50% to the shop.  I provide everything except the shop and customer....the most I give the shop is 20%....

Glass shops,  detail shops,  accessory shops are all great connections to get a bay and customers if they don't offer tinting themselves.